• Register Today It's free!

98 Mountaineer subwoofer removal.

mountaineerbrett

Reaction score
City, State
South Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Moutaineer
My rear subwoofer was blown so i had a spare 10' speaker I was going to throw in there. Ok I removed the plastic grill. unscrewed the speaker and... What the heck is holding that speaker in there!? Question is How do I remove that speaker. it must be bolted from the inside. I don't really want to remove the side panel to find out. I know those old plastic clips will start breaking.
If I need to remove the subwoofer box how do I do it. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to remove the whole side panel to get the sub box out. Not sure about just the speaker. It's not as bad as it sounds, but is a bit of a song and dance. Use one or both of the forum search tools. Lots of threads on the archives on how its done.

Welcome to the site.

Subbox removal

The clips / pins seem flimsy and will break on removal. Do you think I should buy the clips/ pins that are holding the panel on before I start. Thanks, Celly

The clips / pins seem flimsy and will break on removal. Do you think I should buy the clips/ pins that are holding the panel on before I start. Thanks, Celly

I didn't lose any clips/pins. They're re-useable if you get them out properly. If you don't already have one, get a "panel popper" tool. They're very handy. They look kind of like this:

t_doorpanelremovaltooldeluxe.jpg

This is the tool my ex-Ford mechanic neighbor recommended, and lent to me. It worked great. ZERO broken panel "Christmas trees" :thumbsup: It worked so great that I got my own set of PC Snap On trim tools off eBay for a bargain price :thumbsup:

34387.JPG

thanks a lot brett i hav ethe exact problem with my explorer. now i know.

i jsut replaced my stock 8 inch which im sure you have an 8 too. and let me tell you i dont see any way possible to get a 10in in the same stock box if you did kudos! send me a pic but if you still havent takin the panel off i would forget about the 10in swap sorry. prove me wrong though

Thanks for the reply. I got through that project. But I took my truck through a car wash. What a big mistake. It ripped off my power anttenna and cap. Ford wants about $375 to replace it. The morons at the car wash used the same rags on the outside as the inside. Scratching the plastic on my Instrument panel and smearing cheap wax on my windows. They used a brush at a brushless car wash, scratching the clear coat. And now for some reason the rear wiper does not work. So I bought an antenna mast and cap. I hope I can thread the plastic cable of the mast into the electric motor so it will catch. I also bought plastic polish from mothers wax for the instrument cover. I also bought a polish to take out the clear coat scratches. Stay out of car washes!

what did you end up doing with the sub? i sent you a message before i read this. ill sound pretty dumb when you read the sencond one. here in indiana we got a real nice "hands on" car wash. sorry about your antenna. lets just hope you got teh 6 disc changer?? haha

My rear subwoofer was blown so i had a spare 10' speaker I was going to throw in there. Ok I removed the plastic grill. unscrewed the speaker and... What the heck is holding that speaker in there!? Question is How do I remove that speaker. it must be bolted from the inside. I don't really want to remove the side panel to find out. I know those old plastic clips will start breaking.

^ Welcome to the forum. Somehow your added text got lost, I only see the quote.

Back