98 Rear Passenger Door Won't Open: Help!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Rear Passenger Door Won't Open: Help!!!!

ExCon

Reaction score
City, State
TAMPA FLORIDA!!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EDDIE BAUER 5.0 LITE
I can't get the back door to open. The key fob opens all the doors and is tryin to open the one passenger back fdoor but it won't open. HERES MY PROBLEM: How can I try to repair the linkages inside the door if I can't gt the door panel off? It appears that the door must be OPEN in order to remove the door panel. CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT ON THIS? Is there any way to get that panel off? Are there access screws under the exterior door handle that I can take off in order to access the linkages?
THANKS!!!

It sounds like you may have a locked up locking motor. I had that happen on my 91 Lincoln, but I was able to open it, barely, with the key.

Have you already tried to overpower it by pulling up on the lock knob? If so, then you might try running a slimjim along the inside glass, to trip the unlock lever in the door.

I don't recall if the door panel has a screw going into the bottom of it. The main screws are behind the trim at the lock lever. You would have to remove the seat to get much farther at removing the door panel. Good luck,

Back