98 SOHC Detonation | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 SOHC Detonation

He needs to call Ford 's Tech line. They did that with me.

The Soap Opera Continues

Today I went to pick up my Explorer from the dealer (been there for two days). Before I accepted delivery the tech and I took a ride to confirm the "pinging problem" was gone. He was confident that it was gone. but wanted me to listen just to be sure.

The problem has moved and now happens at 3000 RPM and is even a little more pronounced. It looks like he may be on to something. Yesterday he spent 2 hours on the phone with the Ford tech support line. Ford says that they have never seen this problem in Explorers just in the Windstars. (Yeak Ok) In formulating there game plan they used the learned knowledge from the Windstar and applied to my case. Some of the things they tested were.

1. A sensor to confirm that the correct barometric pressure was being sensed or set correctly.
2.The knock sensor
3.A temperature sensor
4.EGR and various emmision sensors

They tech finally retarded the timming 1 degree and set the octane level from 87 down to 86.

As for the nice scratches the service manager has changed her tune and refuses to fix them. They said it must have happened in the parking lot and that they are not responsible. To me parking lot damage would occur on the side of the fender not on the top where mine are. For know that is secondary. I will get the pinging fixed first the start raising hell.

Lost Faith in Ford

I picked up the truck today. Problem still unresolved. Pings at 3000 RPM. Ford states that this is a normal characteristic of this engine.. I am sure the dealer came to this conclusion. Under a strong suggestion from my service advisior I will bring it back on Monday and talk to the tech once again. I beleive the problem can be fixed but not by this dealer. Par for the course.

Back