Omaha, Ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport XLT
I have been doing some investigation on the underhood
wiring for my 4.0 sohc to 5.0 v-8 project for my 1998
Sport and the wiring looks to be identical except for the
fuel injector harness and the coil pack. I think it will
be easier than I thought.

Anyone else done this that could comment?

Also, the 5.0 out of a Lincoln Towncar has a duel sump
oil pan. Should I use that pan or the 5.0 pan for
an explorer? The duel sump pan looks like it would have more clearance.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure on the oil pan, but you will need the front end accessory drive from the Explorer V8. This would include the powersteering pump and remote reservoir, both brackets, tensioner, waterpump, front cover, crank damper/pulley.

I did a similar swap into my 1999 Ranger 4x4. I used a 1997 Explorer engine and it was basically plug and play. I would HIGHLY recommend finding an Explorer V8 as the starting point. I would also use the engine side wiring harness from the V8 and the EECV from the same donor.

Other parts used from the Explorer donor are A/C pressure line, power steering lines, all 4 catalytic converters, exhaust manifolds, MAF to T-Body hose, cruise and throttle cables, brake booster hose, and fan shroud. I believe your V6 SOHC has the ~2" thik radiator, but if not, you will need that. Engine mount iolators and plates/

Also, you will want the 4R70W trans from the Explorer donor.

Basically, get an Explorer donor. You will have everything you need and benefit from GT40 heads, GT40 intake, correct oilpan, correct exhaust, correct wiring, and correct accessory drive.

I did the swap into my 4x4 Ranger and had it on the road in 3 weekends with working out a few bugs.

Kris Guilbeaux has almost the full motor, wiring harness, and computer from a 96 5.0 Explorer; may be for sale.

271 ranger, all i have to say is, if you really go through with this, PLEASE do a write up on it (part nubmers and sources would be great too, if possible) :)

No need for a write up of part numbers. Go to a salvage yard, find a stock V8 explorer and get the parts I listed above. Verify terminal/circuit ID's in the 42PIN connector from the engine harness to the body harness and drive it away. It realy is nearly that simple.

The only issues come with 1996-1997 vs 1998 had minor wiring changes and 1998 to 1999-2001 had change to the fuel system. In 1999-2001 Explorers, the fuel system is returnless and the CMP sensor is a 2 wire vs 3 wire. Any year engine will work though, you just need to double check the wiring.

A single donor Explorer V8 will have EVERYTHING you need.

I always thought this swap would be a royal PIA, but its sounding pretty darn easy to swap a 5.0 into a 98 Sport. I've considered it off and on. Need to look more into pricing though. If I buy a 5.0 I wanna take it and have it cleaned up... throw some forged rods and pistons in it. Maybe a new cam, some head work... and one of those self contained oiling prochargers would be cool as hell.

No need for forged internals, at least not rods. The stock crank and rods are good for any HP level you wil lget in an Explorer V8. If I remember correctly, I read that the bloc kwill give out before the rods.

As for the superchargers, the only one that will fit the Explorer accessory drive is the Powerdyne made for the Explorer. There used to be a Explorer Express Eaton kit, but it was discontinued. The Mustang superchargers will not fit the Explorer engine, since the belt plane is in a different location.

Point of reference, Mustang 5.0's short blocks are good upto around 450HP with stock internals, once you reach 500HP the block will eventually split right down the middle. I believe the Explorer V8 is nearly the same internal to the mustang V8 but I may be wrong. Either way 450HP will not be easy particularily with the limited header options. I may be new to Explorers but I'm definately not new to smallblock Fords, the 410 stroker Windsor that I built for my race car and my brother currently owns has custom built 2" primary headers which bumped power from the mid 500 range with the old longtube 1 3/4" headers to over 600. Those anemic Explorer headers are a major bottleneck to serious performance.

BTW tmsoko is my younger brother and while it's usually me giving him advice in this case his knowledge is spot on. I've ridden in his Ranger and it starts and runs like it came that way from the factory mainly because he really did his homework prior to the swap and thus knows all the little details involved. If he says get a donor V8 Explorer he's NOT kidding, tracing done all those little parts would most likely cost you more in the end if you went with a non-Explorer V8 and add to that the Explorers had the best factory heads for the 302/5.0 engine since the Boss and you've got a sure winner.

The Eaton based supercharger kit for the 5.0 V8 from Explorer Express IS still available. We have five kits in stock right now. We will continue to carry this kit as long as the blower unit is still available from Eaton. We are currently preparing to release the 4.0 SOHC supercharger. Let me know if you have any questions.

John V. @ Explorer Express

write up

I have been keeping track of the work and the steps involved and will gladly share with everyone !

It might be a while before it is done.

Back