98 XLT Multiple Electrical Gremlins | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 XLT Multiple Electrical Gremlins

Ionizer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
98 XLT with no prior electrical problems other than a horn not working for several years. 2 days ago I had a simultaneous multiple system failure to involve the power windows, windshield wipers, and dome lights.

I looked in the maintance manual and switched out a few related fuses with no luck.

I removed the high current fuse/relay (4) for the power windows and fuse (10) for horn as it had not worked for years. I did this without disconnecting the battery and now my air bag light flashes 5 - 2 times upon start up and continues.

Tried fuse (12) and (16) on the fuse box of the drivers door as well. Hopeing this is an easy fix. I can live with most of the gremlins but it would be nice to have operational Windows.

Please help me out before I create more problems for myself. Thanks in advance.

From digging up prior posts with this issue sounds to be an issue with the GEM. Looks to be located behind the stereo. If I get one for a 4x4 2nd gen should be plug and play. Does it sound like im on the right track?

Back