97 XLT Multiple Codes Check Engine On O/D Flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 XLT Multiple Codes Check Engine On O/D Flashing

Creolex

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Just replaced motor on '97 xlt, sohc v6. Check engine light is on and O/D light flashing. Slight slippage on take off. Receiving the following trouble codes:
P1762
P1747
P0743
P0750
P0755
P0760
P0765

Is this one central problem or do I have multiple issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what year engine did you put in the truck?
check your wiring, your computer is likely not sensing the sensors.
Different year engines have different sensors, so you want to keep all your 97 stuff even if you put in a later model engine...

Replaced with same engine - 97 sohc. Is there an electricle sensor or control that should have been re-set?

when the battery was disconnected the PCM was re-set to think its a new truck and ready to learn.

With all those codes something is wrong.

Who did the work?
Did you compare the PCM codes from your truck to the donor?
My point is this, when you replace an engine, unless both trucks have the exact same PCM code there may be issues because Ford made changes sometimes even mid year in sensors and wiring.

So the only way to do it right is to use the long block from the donor, replace all sensors, wiring, intakes with the ones from the original 97 engine.

I'll read out the descriptions I have for your codes:

P1762: Overdrive Band Failed Off
P1747: EPC Solenoid Short Circuit
P0743: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical Failure
P0750: Shift Solenoid A Error
P0755: Shift Solenoid B Error
P0760: Shift Solenoid C Error
P0765: Shift Solenoid D Error

Sorry I'm not much of an expert with diagnosis, but hopefully the descriptions may be able to steer you in the right direction.

sounds like the plug for the transmission is not fully seated or you did not hook everything at the trans up fully, check your wiring/plugs/connectors

Took codes to dealer today and spoke with tech. He recommend that I have PCM reset. I drove car to the person that installed my engine. He recommended that I have the dealer re-set the codes because of the nature of Ford trans. I unplugged battery (-) to try to reset but did not take. I am considering taking to dealer since I already have the codes. Any other suggestions?

yes listen with those codes the computer is not talking to the transmission.
The transmission is connected to the engine/computer harness with one big square plug.
It appears to me this plug is not seated fully.
Trying to diagnose those codes one at a time is going to cost you thousands.

Always go back to where you were last working.
the guy who replaced your engine had to disconnect the transmission wiring.
Now the transmission is not talkling to the computer
Logic tells us your transmission is not plugged in.

this could be a 30 second fix
you need to check the big square plug on the firewall
then you need to check the big square plug on the transmission
then you need to check the transmission harness where it connects to the transmission sensors

I assume it has been like this since the day you picked it up from having the engine replaced?

Sounds to me like the negine replacer guy SUCKS!!!
I would not have let this sucker leave my shop like that and charge you for a new engine when the computer is not controlling the transmission.

Driving it like this can kill your transmission

I agree with you and will take the car back to the installer. Now, is it possible to do a temporary re-set? I'm concerned about driving the vehicle too much. The installer is about 15 miles from my home and the dealership is about 25 miles from the installer. Any sugestions? Thanks.

If you have disconnected the battery for 10 minutes you have already done a "reset" and your "keep alive memory" is at a baseline. To completely erase the CEL codes from computer memory you will need to use a scan tool. But, they will probably come back almost immediately.

Why not do what 410Fortune suggests and unplug, inspect and reseat those connectors? Might save yourself a whole lot of aggravation.

Your computer cannot talk to your transmission. If you continue to drive this truck, you will damage your transmission.

How will resetting the computer have any impact on your transmission?

I am taking 410's advise as I am convinced that is the correct route. I only wanted to re-set the codes to drive the vehicle 15 miles to the installer. I was trying to relieve the stress on the tranny on my way there.

How will resetting the computer have any impact on your transmission?

with these later model automatics what do you think controls all the shifting?
the stock computer controls the engine and the transmission these days.

410Fortune said:
with these later model automatics what do you think controls all the shifting?
the stock computer controls the engine and the transmission these days.

I understand that.

But if the computer is not communicating with the transmission, why would anyone think that resetting the computer will have any impact on the transmission that it isn't talking to?

I took the truck over to the engine installer today and had him remove and reconnect the connections. After doing so, I received the same results. I then drove to the person that installed the tranny (2004). He ran the codes and confirmed that it is electrical and thought that perhaps a wire was pinched in the installation of the engine. He wants to perform and evaluation of the wiring next week. He said that it would probably take a couple of hours at $35 per. My dealer would run test for $80. I could then use another professional source for the repairs if necessary. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you are on the right track. If someone can find the short/damaged wire at $35/hr in a couple hours it is probably a decent deal. Is the dealer offering $80 flat fee? Cuz, that is not a bad deal either.

BTW, a pinched wire sounds very possible. In a perfect world the engine installer would pay for his mistake, but good luck on that.

The dealer is charging a flat $80 for diagnostics. However, I am not 100% sure if that only includes connecting the truck to a computer. The tranny guy will manually disconnect and research the wiring @$35/hr. He has already checked the codes...I will speak with the dealer to get a better understanding on the $80 fee.

I took the truck over to the engine installer today and had him remove and reconnect the connections. After doing so, I received the same results. I then drove to the person that installed the tranny (2004). He ran the codes and confirmed that it is electrical and thought that perhaps a wire was pinched in the installation of the engine. He wants to perform an evaluation of the wiring next week. He said that it would probably take a couple of hours at $35 per. My dealer would run test for a flat $80 fee. (I have to confirm that it does not only inlude an electronic analysis). I could then use another professional source for the repairs if necessary. Any suggestions?

Creolex said:
The dealer is charging a flat $80 for diagnostics. However, I am not 100% sure if that only includes connecting the truck to a computer. The tranny guy will manually disconnect and research the wiring @$35/hr. He has already checked the codes...I will speak with the dealer to get a better understanding on the $80 fee.

I'll bet you're right, if it is $80 to read the codes only and then additional time for diagnostics that could get expensive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My bet is the $80 is for electronic dianostics only. I feel confident that is only a pinched wire somewhere. I did not have any problems with the tranny prior to the engine installation. I am certainly not an expert, but it seams that there are too many errors for it not to be elictrical. I'm leaning toward using the tranny guy at this moment.

Back