97 XLT Multiple Codes Check Engine On O/D Flashing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 XLT Multiple Codes Check Engine On O/D Flashing

I spoke with the dealship this morning. The $80 fee is for and electronic diagnosis and a "visual" inspection. Of course, the $80 fee would be applied to the repairs. :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

woah there buddy!!!!!!!!!!!
the transmission is from a 2004???????

You said you replaced the engine you never said anything about the transmission.

the 97 computer will NOT control the 04 transmission, there are many differences the wiring pins change locations, the 04 DTRS (or digital transmission range sensor) is a digital sensor instead of analog like your 97 uses, this is a huge mess if you dont know what you are doing!! This can likely be fixed using parts from the 97 transmission unit.
I do not expect the dealership will figure this out anytime soon, Looking at the two autos side by side they look very similar, but the wiring is NOT THE SAME and I know for a fact the DTRS is not the same
No wonder your computer is freaking out!

Why did you not mention this sooner?
Dealers charge $80 just to put it up on the rack.

The tranny was replaced in '04 with a 1997 tranny. The same as the original. It was not a '04 tranny. Bad communication on my end. I will not take it to the dealer. I mentioned the tranny guy because he installed the tranny and is an honest expert. He seems to be my best option at this point since we all agree that the problem is electrical.

oh thank god....you had me worried.

Hopefully the stealership will find the problem quickly and not rake you over the coals too bad.
My $$$ is still on a wiring issue or the PCM itself...

So, you recommend the stealership over the tranny guy?

its already at the dealership right? Lets see what they can do.
they have the ability to hook the trucks wiring harness up to whats called a pinout box (old style) or a computer and talk to teh truck, so it will check all the comminucations/circuits and if there is failure to talk to the transmission they will know it very quickly, then they can diagnose from there.

Bottom line, if you paid to have the engine replaced and it came back to you with this problem then I would go after the engine replacement guy for compensation on this repair bill, obviously he SCREWED SOMTHING UP, and as I said I personally would not deliver a truck to a customer with a new engine installed and new problems with the transmission and as the custom I never would have driven it off the lot with these new problems.

The truck is at home and not at the dealer. When I picked up the truck, the engine installer asked that I drive it and check the fluid levels on the tranny since they did not "touch" it. - maybe that should have been a hint? - However, I don't think he would have any problems with re-imbursement if in fact the problem originated on his end. You believe that I should take it back to the dealer or tranny guy?

take it back to the engine installer guy since this problem started after he installed the engine

or take it to the dealer and then go after the engine guy to re-emburse you

Thanks. I will take it to the dealer Monday a.m.

So, what did they find? You can't just ask for opinions and leave us hanging without the final solution. ;-)

Back