99 B4000, AC bypassed, CEL

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I got a 99 B4000 a couple of months ago and just started getting a ticking/sqweaking from one of the front pulleys. Turns out after a non-AC belt installed that it was indeed the compressor. However now I have a CEL which I'm assuming is due to the AC compressor not spinning? I also changed the T-stat at the same time as the new belt, but engine is running fine and new T-stat actually works so....will no AC hooked up throw a CEL, and if so how do I get it to think its a non-AC B4000?

I wouldn't think that the AC not cycling could cause a code, but can't say for sure. My best suggestion would be to pull the codes and post the PXXXX code here. We'll be happy to help. :)

-Joe

Thanks for the response. Everything else I found seemed to agree so I did the old pull the battery cable reset (truck was running fine) and the light did not come back on. Even then pulled the 2 plugs to the compressor, no light...so bypassing the AC compressor does not cause a CEL. It must have been from starting without airtube hooked up or temperature sender reading from draining coolant...though I'm surprised these didn't "fix" the CEL once actually running normal again.

Back