99 explorer 4.0 sohc No start, help! Video inside! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer 4.0 sohc No start, help! Video inside!

theos92vr4

Reaction score
City, State
Hackettstown NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer
Hey guys, having a problem with my explorer I just picked up. Its having an issue where it wont start/turn over. It has a new battery, check all the fuses they are good. The mechanic at my work thinks its the PATS system, I just want to make sure it is before I bring it to the dealer.

HEres the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWqq1DbSfmU&feature=youtu.be

thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not PATS

PATS will not prevent the starter motor from cranking the engine. PATS disables the fuel pump and the fuel injectors. You probably have an electrical issue with the starting system. The following link may help: Ford Explorer Starter No crank procedure

what about starter relay ??
Try using a remote start system ..

Thanks for the responses guys, I will check everything now and let you know what I find. I was just informed that the starter was replaced about a year ago... that doesn't really mean much since it could be defective, but its newer

okay guys. I checked the fuse for the starter (#5, 50 amp in the battery junction box) that was okay, same with fuse #24 , in the interior fuse box. I swapped the blower motor relay with the starter relay, no luck there. When I turn the key, I can hear that relay clicking.

What should I check next?

remove solenoid/starter & test

Since you swapped out the starter relay and hear it clicking you know that the electrical path is good. Unless the connection between the relay and the solenoid is bad, or the connection from the battery to the solenoid is bad, then your solenoid or starter is bad. The next step is to disconnect the battery negative terminal cable and remove the solenoid/starter assembly for testing.

Since you swapped out the starter relay and hear it clicking you know that the electrical path is good. Unless the connection between the relay and the solenoid is bad, or the connection from the battery to the solenoid is bad, then your solenoid or starter is bad. The next step is to disconnect the battery negative terminal cable and remove the solenoid/starter assembly for testing.

Thanks again! I Want to check the starter solenoid, I have been looking for it in the engine bay, but am having a hell of a time finding it. Could you tell me in which area its located? I searched and read a thread that said it was on the driver fender.. have looked and I cant seem to find anything! is it hidden under something?

Back