99 explorer EB Mach audio amp question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer EB Mach audio amp question

CHAZOR

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford explorer EB
Hey guys just got my explorer and loving it so far. Just found out that the truck has a factory amp/sub but I can't get it to output to the sub i also just put an aftermarket pioneer head unit in It but I can't get the radio to recognise the amp there sub controlls dont show up.

Also the head unit it's a DEH X6700bt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, this is caused by two things, one is, 99s don't have a dedicated amp for the sub, the amp is built into the radio, I wired mine to work with the sub recently but the sub controls still don't show up, I'm running a DEH-150 I think, it's a cheaper one. To run the sub, you're gonna need this, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BF0CK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , and you're gonna have to refer to your radio manual for how to run the sub, in my case, what I did, is disconnect both rear door speakers, and hook up the right rear speaker power wires AND the RCA connection, and the sub worked. As for my door speakers, they're all tied into the front channels, that's not proper but it's worked close to a month and the sub sounds great for what it is. Just be sure you look at your manual, yours is a higher tier than mine

I have that adapter is an off brand and have wired the amp to the rear RCA sub outs to be 100% fair I have no idea if the amp even works I'm just trying to make sure if some one had gotten it to work how they set it up I may need to run the second amp turn on wire to the head unit? I ran just the right channel because I read somewhere that that's all was needed.

My adapter for the sub came with an RCA connection, and two power wires went BOTH to the RR speaker, and your LR speaker gets disconnected. The 99 has no amp located, it's just the harness going to the sub and the radio does both power and sound. The harness pigtail I bought came with two wires tied into one RCA, then the two wires for the power channel, it's a 4 pin connector total.

I'm in a pickle with the sub any way lol I bought a replacemnt and the info I read wait it was a ten inch sub but it looks like it's actually an 8" so I either have to try and make the10 inch fit or order another sub

To be fair, I don't know if the amp in the radio would run an aftermarket subwoofer, someone with experience there would have to chime in, it would in theory though

Aprearently people have run boss subwoofers the cheap ones and they work fairly well

The situation with the HU notwithstanding... The Mach sub in the rear IS an 8" shallow mount sub. If you replace it, you must have a shallow mount. There's only about 3.5" depth in the enclosure. I put in an Excelon KFCXW800F which was a direct fit shallow mount sub. Great sub, $169.99 on Crutchfield.com. Also be aware that you have to remove the interior quarter panel in the passenger rear to get to the sub and the amp (on my '98.) Kinda' a pain but you gotta' do to get to the amp and sub. FYI I also installed a Kenwood DPX500BT H/U, and 4x Pioneer TSG6844R door speakers. Nice sounding system. Although I sold the vehicle 2 months ago.

so to bring any one interested up to speed I finally got an 8" sub its not a shallow mount but its close enough were I can either modify the enclosure or throw a speaker ring on it and it will fit perfectly in only off about 1/8 an inch. the sub is a cheap audio pipe sub i picked up for a few dollors at my local pawn shop. now I'm researching a way to test the factory amp. If the factory amp works I'm looking into trying to modify it to run as an after market until i get an aftermarket amp.

Also i thought the factory amp ran the door speakers as well however it seams they are powered from the radio. mabie some one else already did a bypass?

Back