99 Explorer - Replacement Door locks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer - Replacement Door locks?

yeahokay

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer EB 5.0
I recently picked up a 99 Explorer EB, the original owner had lost the keys at some point and replaced the ignition lock with a new key but did not replace the door locks. So I have no key to open the doors if I were to need it, currently just using the keypad. 2 question, any idea where I can get replacement door locks? or is it possible ford can still/will cut a key for a vehicle this old?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Local locksmith

Yes a dealership can cut a new key, but they are going to look up the key code for your VIN and then can cut keys for the doors but they won't be in a position to rekey your ignition lock cylinder to match... unless you find that one guy in 10 that knows and wants to bother. Ford does sell an ignition cylinder kit that includes the various pin sizes to rekey it to the factory key code.

Otherwise, the way I'd look at it is, you have 6 locks, ignition, 4 doors, and liftgate. DIY, It would take less work to only have to rekey the ignition instead of all 5 others, except you don't have the key for them so would have to pay a ford dealership shop to get at least one anyway, then that cylinder kit to DIY, and either the dealership, or a shop, or yourself using Forscan app, can program the new ignition key (OR just swap the chip in the existing key to the new key but this only leaves you with one programmed key so if you ever want a 2nd key, would have to do one of the former options anyway until you have 2 working unique key chip IDs to be able to program more using the method in the owner's manual).

I'd at least ask a locksmith what they think is the best option and get an estimate but I suspect it's going to be a lot to pay for a 24 y/o vehicle, to have someone else do the work.

I’d just change the TWO door locks and have two keys, otherwise I’d see about rekeying the ignition.

Yes a dealership can cut a new key, but they are going to look up the key code for your VIN and then can cut keys for the doors but they won't be in a position to rekey your ignition lock cylinder to match... unless you find that one guy in 10 that knows and wants to bother. Ford does sell an ignition cylinder kit that includes the various pin sizes to rekey it to the factory key code.

Otherwise, the way I'd look at it is, you have 6 locks, ignition, 4 doors, and liftgate. DIY, It would take less work to only have to rekey the ignition instead of all 5 others, except you don't have the key for them so would have to pay a ford dealership shop to get at least one anyway, then that cylinder kit to DIY, and either the dealership, or a shop, or yourself using Forscan app, can program the new ignition key (OR just swap the chip in the existing key to the new key but this only leaves you with one programmed key so if you ever want a 2nd key, would have to do one of the former options anyway until you have 2 working unique key chip IDs to be able to program more using the method in the owner's manual).

I'd at least ask a locksmith what they think is the best option and get an estimate but I suspect it's going to be a lot to pay for a 24 y/o vehicle, to have someone else do the work.

Im 100% ok with separate keys for ignition and doors. Ill check with ford to verify they can cut a new key for the doors. Im also ok replacing everything myself if i can still get the parts. Ive already had 2 doors pulled apart to clean the locking mechanisms.

When you get a quote, see if they will let you provide the key blanks to lower cost. If they want to sell you keys with the integrated chip, you will be paying a lot more to get that from them, for a feature you won't even be able to use since they don't work for the ignition.

If you can provide the key blanks, you can just get standard key blanks (maybe...) for a couple bucks each, or aftermarket with integrated chip can be had around $10 each on amazon or ebay, the last time I checked. The dealership would probably charge multiple times as much for the official motorcraft part # key.

When you get a quote, see if they will let you provide the key blanks to lower cost. If they want to sell you keys with the integrated chip, you will be paying a lot more to get that from them, for a feature you won't even be able to use since they don't work for the ignition.

If you can provide the key blanks, you can just get standard key blanks (maybe...) for a couple bucks each, or aftermarket with integrated chip can be had around $10 each on amazon or ebay, the last time I checked. The dealership would probably charge multiple times as much for the official motorcraft part # key.
My 'local' ford dealers can only duplicate. I live in the middle of nowhere, Im sure I can go to a major city and try there. Im looking for some place local that will cut them with the vin, but not having any luck might try one of the online places if I can not find any place thats not a 3 hour drive away. Ill ensure I get the key cut without the chip if possible.

A local locksmith will have the key code
They can cut the key without even looking at your car
All they need is the vin number

Back