99 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0 Eddie Bauer-Need New Differential Cover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0 Eddie Bauer-Need New Differential Cover

RTF_EXPLORER

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer-5.0AWD
Newbee question on my 99 Explorer AWD Eddie Bauer 5.0 where is there a good place to buy an aftermarket differential cover mine is leaking now and looking like "crud" something with extra capacity maybe & good looking? What type of fluid should I get also as far as weight and brand? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lucas 75/140 synthetic.

Check out Solid Axle for their diffs, or something pretty much from any other off-road site.

Solid Axle looks ok; just not my style. Yeah I am browsing around I like the AFE style so much but they only make covers for diesel trucks. I would like the unit to be similar in style with drain plug at the bottom

I have an LPW diff cover on mine, has a fill and drain plug. I picked mine up used. I think they may be pricey new.

The drain plug is a bolt with a magnetic tip, much like the one on the oil pan of the engine. I put some leak stop tape on the threads of it so nothing leaks out.

The drain plug is a bolt with a magnetic tip, much like the one on the oil pan of the engine. I put some leak stop tape on the threads of it so nothing leaks out.

Oh ok well that was a bit confusing for me....lol I actually thought it was just a magnet. I will be hunting around but really like this one so far.

Mine is the non powder coated model. It cleaned up to like new when I installed it. I cannot speak for the durability of the powder coated model, but it sure looks nice though.

Back