99 Ford Explorer. My engine started to make a lot of noise after an oil change!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Ford Explorer. My engine started to make a lot of noise after an oil change!!!

explorefordgirl

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Hello Everyone!~
I have owned my Ford Explorer since 2004 and have taken very good care of this SUV with maintence oil changes, new fuel pump, etc.. it has 105,000 miles now on it.
I just took it in for the oil change since it was time to do so. Well after the oil change it has this rattle or sound like marbles in the engine and I always pay attention to my engine sound. WEll I have been checking out forums and there are some other's who say they have this problem as well.

OK it's not the oil filter:p:
It's not the oil that was put in:p:

I did read about putting some (SEAFOAM IN) :rolleyes:so I put some in the oil and my gas tank, let it sit for about 5 minutes as instructed and it still has that rattle mind you I have had well over 4k sunk into this vehicle from valves to fuel pump to starter to you name it.. :D
So I'm here asking you guys!!~ what the H E double hockey sticks could it be???

thanks.. !!!!
PS> before I'm stuck on the side of the road.
ExploreFordGirl!~:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which engine do you have? Pushrod V6, SOHC V6, or pushrod V8?

ford explorer

I know it's a 4.0 V6 automatic:salute:

The SOHC 4.0 V6 has an issue with wearing out some of the timing chain components (primarily the guides and tensioners for the cam chains). This is popularly known as the SOHC chain rattle. It's bad. The good news is that it should not just start rattling one day. So if this noise started up all of the sudden following an oil change, let's consider what else it might be.

This motor can have problems with the cam followers dislodging, but unless you've got a noticeable misfire happening, I doubt that is the cause.

You live in SoCal, so even if it has been running on 10w-30 oil (should get 5w-30) it should be OK.

Where have the oil changes been done? Do you know what oil was used? Have you been really good about regular changes or have a couple been "extended". An oil change, particularly one with a different oil, may cause sludge to migrate in the engine.

Is the noise present at idle, while driving, or both?
Does it get louder with engine rpm increase?
Does it occur when engine is cold, warm, or both?
Does it occur at start up and then go away, or is it always there?

if you have the ohv v-6 ford calls that noise the "marble noise"i have had the sound since day1.
bought my explorer sport right off a 2 year lease with less than 30,000 on it .the next morning after purchase i heard the noise .i called ford right away .
took it in and they looked it over .said it was the marble noise and ford considers it normal .they say its the wrist pin they use in the motor that makes the noise .
they said it wouldnt affect engine life and they are right .
8 years and 133,000 miles later its still going strong .with the noise .
some morning you swear you got a deisel running outside.
if you have a ohv(and being a 99 you just might)do a search for" marbling noise "or marble sound and you will soon see its very common.

good luck.

97 sohc

I want to replace the timing chain and gears on my engine so where is the best place to buy (price and service) and what manufacture is the best (American made please)?

Sounds like the Crankshaft to jackshaft timing chain tensioner has broken. I doubt it will damage your engine leaving you stuck on the side of the road, it will just make noise. Changing the oil did not cause this, it's just a comon problem with the SOHC motor.

Read this thread by StreetRod2000 if you would like more info: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278100

Back