• Register Today It's free!

99 Ford Explorer XLS

Mestapho

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLS
So I was wanting an Explorer because I've always liked them and I was needing something else to drive while I build my 97 Subaru OBS. I came across this find on craigslist. The deal was everything but normal. The guy I was texting wasn't the guy selling and there were all kinds of shady correspondences between us. So I was in the area where it was and called to schedule a view. On the way I'm already saying it's a barn burner. Well I get there and dudes not there so get a chance to look over without him telling me how this and that isn't that big of a deal to fix etc etc.

First off it was BLACK, what I wanted. Second it was 4 door, what i didn't know I wanted. I was hoping to score a sport. I walk to the back and see the XLS badge. I was like this must be a 5 speed. Open it up and sure enough it was. Holly crap! The first one I go look at and it's what I wanted.

Point of the story is.. I can't find anything about the XLS. It's as if it was never produced. Can anyone give me any specifics such as production and all. I'm sure the majority of the specs are the same as the XLT.

Here it is as I purchased:

rtkz89.jpg

After some soap/water, plastidip and just overall cleanup

2lo1a37.jpg

8yrk1c.jpg

rkaaee.jpg

Everything I buy that's a GOOD DEAL always is a good deal for about a month then it slowly starts to drain my wallet until I just give in and park in my boneyard. But this one has actually been pretty solid.

Purchased for $1400

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice looking Ex, you've got a problem with your DS fog light though, water in it?

Check the VIN on the dash plate to make sure whatever you looking at as the VIN is correct. Go to Ford's ETIS site and you can everything about what your ride was built with. The 5-speed manual is unusual, but probably more common on the XLS, which was the bottom of the Explorer food chain (fewest standard options).

Back