• Register Today It's free!

99 Front sway bar diameter?

J. Kennedy

Reaction score
City, State
Acton, Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Hi. I'm replacing the hollow front sway bar on my 95 with a solid one from a 1999. While there, I want to replace the bushings as well. Explorer Express has them for $30, but my local auto parts has generics for $10 a pair. The catch is you need to know the EXACT diameter of the bar. Anybody know this?

While at it, would replacing the rear stock sway bar bushings make any difference? Where would I find the diameter of those?

Thanks in advance, JK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A '99 front anti-sway bar will mike between 1 and 5/16th inch and 1 and 3/8th inch in the range from 1.310" - 1.369" depending on manufacturing tolerances and where you decide to measure the thickness of the bar.

Hope that helps.

one word HUGE.. that damn bar is huge...

Lighter Duty Sway Bar

Does anyone know if a lighter duty front sway bar is available for a 1998 XLT 4x4 or similar? I hope I make sense by "lighter duty". The one I currently have installed just seems too thick and does not comply easily to tire movement. If you look at the rear sway bar it is much thinner in diameter most likely because the front has to control the weight of the engine, but I think I lighter duty sway bar would work very nicely up-front.

Ricardo

Thanks Gerald!

Thanks Gerald!

Wow!! This is an old thread!! I've got a question for you guys. I want to swap my '96 front sway bar to a '98-'01 front sway bar. I'm wondering if it's a direct swap and what other parts other than the sway bar do I need. Thanks!!!

The front sway bar from 98-01 is the same size, but mounts differently at the links. It will not work. There is a group buy going on right now on Explorer Express X-SPEC Sway Bars.
Save $40.ON THE SET!

John V @ EE

Back