99 Leaf SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Leaf SAS

I have a 4dr ford explorer with a D44 out of an early bronco. Went with a leaf spring set up and the springs are too soft and are giving me problems. Its a sprung over set up with the shackles in the rear.I figure I need stiffer springs but I'm not sure what I need. I also need to move the axle farther forward because the tires are getting into the rear of the fender. These springs pretty much bottom out whenever i drive it.

Heres what I have now:

Explorer Procomp pt #51423
Flat length: 45.87"
free length: 42.12"
Spring rate: 228 lb/in
width: 2.5"
4 leaves

Looking at these now:

Rancho 44044
Flat length: 47"
Spring rate: 300 lb/in
6 leaves

Explorer Procomp pt#51422
Flat length: 46.19"
free length: 42.25"
Spring rate: 330 lb/in
5 leaves

The Procomp #51422's are rear lift springs for a CJ. I am a little leary about trying rear springs for the front of the truck again since the first tinme didnt work very well, but these have a much higher spring rate. Should they work? or just go with the ranchos?

Other difference is the price.....procomps are about $75 each while the ranchos are about $135 each.
I am not sure on the big differences in these two. How do I figure exactly what kind of spring rate i need? Is there going to be a huge difference between 300 lb/in and 330?

Which of these would you recommend or is there another set you would recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is how it sits right now with trhe smaller tires on it.

Chris4x4Gill2_p1010050.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jeebus... Those are big meats.

Yomie: in the pic of the shock hoops you can see the shackle mount. You can see the new mount, like what you have now I think. And the old one through the frame, the hole in the frame. only difference in it now is that it use to have a bushing and the shackle just bolted directly through it.

The tires in the first pic are 39.5x15.5's on 15x14 rims
The later pic are 33x12.5's on 15x10's

Yeah i see how they are looks good, i think i'm going to keep mine where they are at right now. I'm about to put some AAL's in my front springs, they have just started to sag a little

Back