99 Leaf SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Leaf SAS

I have a 4dr ford explorer with a D44 out of an early bronco. Went with a leaf spring set up and the springs are too soft and are giving me problems. Its a sprung over set up with the shackles in the rear.I figure I need stiffer springs but I'm not sure what I need. I also need to move the axle farther forward because the tires are getting into the rear of the fender. These springs pretty much bottom out whenever i drive it.

Heres what I have now:

Explorer Procomp pt #51423
Flat length: 45.87"
free length: 42.12"
Spring rate: 228 lb/in
width: 2.5"
4 leaves

Looking at these now:

Rancho 44044
Flat length: 47"
Spring rate: 300 lb/in
6 leaves

Explorer Procomp pt#51422
Flat length: 46.19"
free length: 42.25"
Spring rate: 330 lb/in
5 leaves

The Procomp #51422's are rear lift springs for a CJ. I am a little leary about trying rear springs for the front of the truck again since the first tinme didnt work very well, but these have a much higher spring rate. Should they work? or just go with the ranchos?

Other difference is the price.....procomps are about $75 each while the ranchos are about $135 each.
I am not sure on the big differences in these two. How do I figure exactly what kind of spring rate i need? Is there going to be a huge difference between 300 lb/in and 330?

Which of these would you recommend or is there another set you would recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I have ordered the Rancho springs. Even though the ProComps looked like they might be better on paper, I can't find anyone that has used them so I am going to play it safe and go with what I know will work from everyone else on here.

Hopefully these will fix some of the body roll and help the steering as well.
With the soft springs on there Turning the tires lifted the truck up on that side. I am hoping that the stiffer springs will eliminate much of the vertical movement and help it translate into more horizontal movement.

This is how the truck currently sits. I'm not expecting the new springs to change the height much, but they will make it easier to bring the center line forward since they have the offset centerpin.

Chris4x4Gill2_p1010029.jpg

And here is the current steering setup. Any suggestions/comments ?

Chris4x4Gill2_p1010035.jpg

That drag link is way too short. That doesn't look good, IMO.
There is plenty of room to do a hi-steer. I have one and love it.
Are those shackles on the front spring mount?

The 44044 springs are Waggoneer 2.5" lift springs. You are going to be sitting way taller. It looks like you have stock Wrangler springs now, am I close?
A lot of guys use stock waggy springs and have really good luck with them.

go with a hi steer setup like mentioned above. much nicer than the bent link you have now. that looks a little scary to me honestly. it'll get the tie rod up out of the way too so you don't smash it on something.
it does look like shackles on both ends of the springs. if that's the case... uh oh!

only other comment, get the sawzall out and open those wheel wells up!

I think you should cut off the excess U bolts. That's probably what's hitting your frame. Also get a bumpstop, if it the frame contacting the axle. If it's the tires hitting first, I would put in some more lift.

It does look like you have shackels up front and in back. That would be very unstable. If it is just your brackets for your spring mounts then I would re-enforce them a little more.

Do you have any more pics of your front setup?

Those springs in the pic are 4" lift springs for a wrangler. They are way to soft and I changed to the Rancho's today. Ride height seems to be about the same with them.

I dont fully understand the hi steer setup. I know what it is, jsut what are the advantages to it beside relocating the tierod to get it out of harms way? Will it improve the turning ?

Those are just the spring mounts on the front, not shackles. Shackles are in the rear only.

On the drag link:
why is the length of the drag link a factor? shouldnt it turn the same amount?
What would be a better way to do it?

I dont have any more pics at the moment, but i will get some more soon. We are going to change couple things to work a little better with trhe new springs. And yes I do need top cut those Ubolts off. For the moment I have taken those tires off and but my 33's back on. Mainly just to work problems out without having to figure if the problem comes from the truck or from the tires

What size tire are you running?

i think the wrangler springs are going to be an issue. they are for a MUCH lighter vehicle. i'd go with some waggy springs over those.

here is a good link to learn about steering. should answer some of your questions. i think setting a good hi-steer or even crossover will help you a lot. basically you will more linear geometry which is a good thing.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Steering/Steering_Index/SteeringIndex.htm

I wrote a paragraph about what to do w/ your steering a few days ago, but I guess it never posted? :(

currently your drag link is very short and at an extreme angle, so when you steer, quite a bit of the force is transfered vertically, lifting the truck, rather than steering the wheels.

There are quite a few things you can do to improve that. (in my prefered order) 1) cross-over high steer or full high steer, so that your drag link (and tie rod for full high steer) are above your leaf springs. though depending on how large your leaf pack is you may need to run a spacer under the steering arm, or you may run into trouble with room between the leaf and frame. 2) moving the lower point of the drag link out further to the pass side. as far as possible w/o intefering with the spring pack 3) Drop pitman arm

Jason....I went with the YJ springs after talking with some toyota guys and thats a mistake I;ll jsut have to eat. I changed to the waggy springs yesterday.

Thanks for that link. Its got a ton of good information on it. I'll read it thoroughly later when Ihave more time. I'm going to look into the hi steer. And at the very least figure out what I can do to move the drag link farther out.

Yomie....Those tires in the picture are 39x15.5x15 Mickey Thompsons

Hey chris, when you get some more pics, can i get a pic of your rear shackle mount, it appears that it goes through your frame...i like that setup, if this is the case get me some info on it, like what bushing you used and what not

Yes the shackle mounts through th e frame on the rear, it was done this way to avoid using the spring hangers because we didnt really need anymore lift on the front. The bushings are from the local offroad shop...he had a box full of them this size.. I want to say 2.5" not completely sure off the top of my head. The hole is sleeved and the sleeve comes out slightly on both sides of the frame to give it a flat surface.

Unfortunately I'm having to change this setup and got to the spring hangers anyway. If you look in the pic on the passenger side. you can see that the bolt comes through and is right next to the exhaust. Well....its actually so close you cant get a nut onto the end of the bolt. He tried to spot weld it in place to prevent it from backign out, but I'm jsut not happy with that...not to mention enough tourque on the shackle and it will break the weld anyway.

You might make it work thoguh depending on where exactly your moun t needs to be.

Oh i see, i was just curious i think i am going to stay with my current setup, it has done me fine so far.

I'm not trying to mess with it to much more, i'm currently looking for a D44

Alright. Most of the ride issues have been dealt with now. Changed the YJ springs out to the 44044's. This also moved the axle forward a couple of inches. We then changed the rear spring mounts as well. Went from the shackle bolting through the frame to a welded on spring hanger under the frame. This gave it a little more lift but it seems to be sitting pretty level, maybe a littel high in front but I think it will settle some.

Biggest improvement: added a trac bar to the front axle...now it doesnt try to walk all over the place.

While it was in the shop, i had him weld on some shock hoops up front (birthday present :) ) Still have to measure the travel and get soem shocks ordered for it though. I'm hoping this will make the body roll a little better as well. If its still more than I like I may put the swaybar back on with some quick discos.

I havent changed the steering yet. Figure I'll just do it right and do it once so Its going to have to wait till after the first of the year. So that measns I still have the issue with the truck lifting when i try to turn, annoying sometimes, but i can live with it for a littel while.

I'll get pics up later this afternoon hopefully.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good, do you have any overall pics of the truck?

Back