99 Lightning Rims | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Lightning Rims

would the new lightning rims fit on my 94 explorer. I wasnt sure if the f 150 have a different bolt pattern or spacing. i think on the explorer its 4.5 on 5..i think. Is this the same the f 150's? And yes i know there 18's so please be kind to me in your answers...
Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, they won't.

The f-150's and lightnings have hubcentric wheels. That just means that any wheels on them have to be specially made.Originally, they thought you would never be able to find aftermarket rims because of this. In Motortrend I think, they found that the spare tires weren't interchangeable because of this, so the lightning rims probably won't be either.

You might, however, be able to find a hub adapter kit.

The Cobra R's (17 inch) do fit (with an adapter kit?) Check out the steeda explorer.

This does make you think that any mustang rim would work on an explorer though, doesnt' it (18's perhaps)

The cobra r's fit. I've tried my friends cobras form his mustang. I wanted to go with the 18, because actually the tires are a little less and also with the explorers size i think the 18 would look a little better. I'm still partial to the cobra r for the reason that i can pick them up for 169 a piece.
Brian

Full size Fords are 5 on 5", Explorers and Mustangs are 5 on 4.5".

Cheers
Dale

Are there any adaptors for this? i'm just curious. I found the 99 Lightning rims for a good price and for me to get 18 in the cobra R style i'm looking at 320 a rim. I dont want to spend that kind of money. Thanks for the help.
Brian

wow back then there was so much uncertainity of if the tires would fit. now we know that they will! yea! yea! yae/

Back