99 Ltd sohc transmission problem

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
HI everyone! This is on my 99 Limited SOHC 4X4 with (I believe) the 5r55e trans. Last Wednesday went to a neighboring city for a Dr appt (21 miles)

Came to a couple of stoplights on the but didn't notice anything being wrong. Got to my last turn and waited for the light to change. When I accelerated rpms went up but little to no movement for a number of seconds, tried shifting from D to 1 with no change back to drive and finally got moving and made it to the parking lot.

Had to go right in for my appointment but don't remember how long I was in (however long it takes to do an MRI). Came out sure I was gonna need a tow but put it D and it it drove like normal all the way back.

Today had to return to same place and had the same issue and again drove back home with no issues.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I changed the Tran fluid two years ago when I got it. After that had o/d light flash and code was for the torque converter not locking, apparently need a solenoid. Decided to just live with it because getting the pan off the trans on the 4x4.is a nightmare. Been driving and towing a trailer at times with no issues.

Anyone have any advice on why or what to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get it scanned. Just guesswork without the codes.

As far as my guess would be replace torque converter. Overhaul transmission and flush coolers. Upgraded valve body.

Saturday had to go back to Concord and no problems up there or back. After I got back I went in a store and came out and it wouldn't move. Shifted to 1 and got going but it didn't last. Wouldn't move in any gear including reverse. Had to coast downhill to a place to park it. Its now on its way to the shop for more diagnosis that I can't provide. I have no problem working on the engine but the transmission is more than I'm willing to tackle. I was wondering if there is probability that something is wrong with the shift linkage, but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

I'm sure this is going to be a small fortune but I rebuilt the front end, ball joints etc, last year, just did a water pump and just put upper/lower intake gaskets not to mention new stereo system and the tow hitch I installed when first purchased. I have so much invested now I might as well make the best of it and get the trans fixed and just keep going since everythng else is such good condition. I really like the Limited and its accessories(sunroof, running boards, heated power leather seats, trip computer etc. I haven't come across many other Ltd for sale, they mostly seem to be XLT without the options.

Could be a number of things. Check codes and then you can drop the pan and take a peek.

I had that same TC issue. It said it was the TC solenoid, but the TC itself was shot.

These things are known for blowing valve body gaskets, so maybe you’ll get lucky?

Thanks for the info, that let's a small piece of optimism into my overwhelmed thought process.

Well it looks like I'm going to need a new transmission. The fluid is dark and has a burnt smell to it. Got quoted $2200 for a reman transmission and appx $600-$800 labor. Does this seem reasonable? I know 3 grand is a lot but I just finnished paying off the $1100 to have the front suspension worked on, it's set up to pull my small utility trailer, and being a limited it has all the options that I have become accustomed to. Don't know yet where I'll find the Dinero to get it fixed. I would possibly attempt it on my own if there was a place to do it. But I'd only be saving the labor costs and don't know if that would worth trying.

Anybody got any thoughts? (by the way it's got 186k on the clock.)

That's about what mine cost in my 99 with all the ford updates new valve body etc....

Shop around. A reman is likely gonna be more than a shop rebuild. If you find a reputable shop that does rebuilds and offers a good warranty (good warranties usually translate to good quality), go for it. My trans was rebuilt by a reputable shop at 140k...8 years and 160k ago. Zero problems since.

If you’ve got the tools, space, and know how, pulling the tranny yourself will save you that labor.

That all said, I wouldn’t spend $3k for a tranny unless the trucklet was absolutely cherry, or there is a significant emotional attachment to it.

Buy an ATSG manual for your transmission (about $15ish).
Read through it and see if you think you can follow the directions.
All a 4rw70 is, is a fancy C4 and c4s are easy!

If you do decide to DIY you need to make friends with a transmission dude.
I used a Ford tech for the seal protectors $20 for 10 mins work (CHEAP).
You need an end play micrometer about $20ish and a DIY gauge block.

Back