99 Ranger 3.0 5 spd ignition/pats issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Ranger 3.0 5 spd ignition/pats issue

Nathan davis

Reaction score
City, State
Lumberport
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ranger 3.0 4×4 5 spd.
space. Have a 99 ranger 3.0 my keys were misplaced and in needed to get to work. My thoughts were to break ignition and start with a screwdriver. Little did I know it had the PATS system on it and I broke the halo around the ignition. I've never had an issue with the PATS before this but j went and got another transceiver, module, PCM, and another box from behind the radio and put them in and now my Xgirlfriend has took the keys to it so m Y question is can I get around it in anyway to bypass the key and if not what's my cheapest and easiest way to get keys made thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Replace the ignition cylinder.
If I replace ignition cylinder with one from advance auto I will still have to have dealer program keys correct

Welcome.

You can erase stored codes and reprogram PATS with a laptop and FORscan. Higher end locksmiths can do this as well.

Strange topic. You didn't know keys that are huge due to an anti-theft chip in them, are needed and a screwdriver won't cut it?

If you break the transceiver ring around the lock cylinder, and obviously it too, that's all that needed replaced not the other things. You'll want a new lock cylinder keyed the same as the doors because you still need keys for those unless you have remote locks but still if the battery dies you need a key again.

Otherwise you need new door cylinders too or to have a locksmith take those and make a key for them so you have two different keys but at least the door keys won't need the anti-theft chip, though for these old vehicles that only makes single-digit dollars difference (PATS key blanks can be bought on ebay for under $10 each) unlike new Fords today.

Beyond that, cheapest <> easiest. As Mbrooks420 mentioned you can go the easy route and pay a locksmith or the harder route and get an OBDII dongle that connects to a windows device (tablet or laptop; USB, wifi, or bluetooth) running Forscan to program it, after getting the upgraded Forscan license which is available through instructions on Forscan's website.

Easiest might be to have the police talk to your ex-GF about giving you your keys back, or offer that she can give them back without the police involved. It is theft. These are keys that came with the new lock cylinder? You broke the lock cylinder and haven't gotten a new one yet, but had replaced the other parts already? Strange. Your post is a little incoherent.

@J_C "Easiest might be to have the police talk to your ex-GF about giving you your keys back, or offer that she can give them back without the police involved. It is theft. These are keys that came with the new lock cylinder? You broke the lock cylinder and haven't gotten a new one yet, but had replaced the other parts already? Strange. Your post is a little incoherent."

These were my thoughts as well.

Back