99 to 98 exhaust swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 to 98 exhaust swap

Digger388

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Alright so I'm new to this forum and this may not be the place to post this so I apologize in advance if I mess something up. Anyway, I had a 99 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc and I noticed it had true dual pipes with two cats joined to one pipe before the muffler. After dogging her a little too hard the motor finally blew "rip" and I now have a 98 xlt with the 4.0 ohv which has the pipes joined before the cat and I was just curious if I could swap the pipes and cats from the 99 and put them on the 98 to be able to run true duals. Any input or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not aware of a change in exhaust from '98 to '99, is it possible the dual pipes on the '99 wasn't stock? If it's not stock you're going to have to lay it out, do some measurements, and decide if you need another few hangers and cut or add some pipe for the right lengths.

I'm pretty sure the dual pipes were stock as the cats and the muffler on it when I got it were stock. Guess I'll find some time this weekend to try it out and see what happens. Thanks for the response and I will post my findings afterwards for future reference.

How do you know the dual cats are stock? I'm not doubting it, just curious as the same part # cat that would do a single pipe on same engine isn't needed for a dual, could use two smaller cheaper cats.

97-98 sohc is dual 2" to the muffler. Yes dual in single out muffler factory on the v6.

Back