99 V8 Sport AWD "Black Beauty" | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 V8 Sport AWD "Black Beauty"

Hi every one out there. My name is Chris and I drive a 99 Explorer Sport. It used to be a 4.0 SOHC 4X4 and now it has new life as a 5.0 V8 AWD. Right now she sits on stock sizes tires with rims off of a 2010 Ranger. Any ways the girl friend likes to name all of my cars so she named it Black Beauty. So now I guess I need to do some black out work. Any way here is a list of mods that have been done and a list of what will be done.

Mods Include

Interior
01 Sport Seats
01 Sport Instrument Cluster w/LED's
Remote Start with Alarm installed by me.
Sony Head Unit
Pioneer Speakers in the front
Cerwin Vega Speakers in the rear
Kicker CVX 10" 1200 Watt max subwoofer
JL Stealth Subwoofer Box
Rockford Fosgate p500-2 1000 Watt max amp
LED Interior lighting (Dome Lights)

Exterior
Bug Deflector
Billit Grill
Fully Debadged
Roof Rack Removed
Side Steps Removed
18inch Rims
Stock turn signals to clear corners (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=87602)
Tinted 3rd Brake Light
Tinted Tail Lights

Performance
5.0L V8 Swap
Mac CAI bought from VroomZoomBoom
Custom Exhaust

Engine
Replaced Both Upstream O2 Sensors 3/19/2014

Suspension
4 Door Leaf Pack
2 inch lowering blocks in the rear
Caster/Camber adjusters
Custom length sway bar end links
TT in the front
KYB Gas-a-Just shock in the rear.

Transfer Case & Differential
4406 Manual Shift 4X4 T-Case Swap
Custom Rear Drive Shaft bought from VroomZoomBoom with u joint Precision 354 at axle and Precision 232 at transfer case
F150 front drive shaft with conversion u joint Precision 353 at axle and Precision 354 at transfer case
D35 w/4.10 open
8.8 w/4.10 Traction Lock

Lighting
Fog lamps modded to stay on with high beams
HID Head Lights
Led Puddle Lights
Led License Plat Lights
LED Strip Under Hatch

Mods Coming Soon

Performance
Electric fan
TM Headers
1 inch Intake Spacer

Exterior
Black Powder Coated Billit Grill
Black Head Light with diamond lenses retro fitted with projectors.
Color Match Trim to body color

Lighting
HIID Fog Lights
22" Cree LED Zombi Lights

Interior
Add Zombie Lights Switch
Add Reverse Lights Switch
Add Inverter Switch

I will keep this first post updated with mods as I can. Thanks for looking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I have finally started Phase 1 of my led lighting conversion. Here is the front interior lights done.
20130606_205837_resized.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Looks good man, I need to redo my interior LED's with much better LED panels. The ones I got off ebay just aren't cutting it as most of the LED's on the panel stopped working.

I bought mine form auto zone if I rember right. I have had them for a few years now with no problems.

I'm gonna have to look around here. If I was electric savvy then if build my own but I don't have that luck.

I discovered this yesterday while I have the ex up in the air. I think its upgrade time.
20130902_160148.jpg

Well I finally finished my inside LED's. I also picked this up today.
20130911_130625.jpg

20130911_130638.jpg

Ok so here is another part of my list for the 4406 Swap
20130918_153140.jpg

Well I have been busy this week. I replaced my front brakes. Then I installed my remote start on my sport. Then today I went to the junk yard and found a replacement drivers seat lever and a replacement shift indicator adjuster. Today I also got my rear drive shaft for my 4406 swap and found out i need a precision 448 conversion u joint to use it in the sport.

Well today was the big day. My V8 sport is no longer AWD. It now has a 4406 transfer case it in. So am I the first person in the USA to have a 4x4 v8 sport?

Pics? And Congrats! I'll catch up with you real soon

Bump

Well I don't have a lot of pics and I don't have the shifter stuff yet but I will post some here in a few.

OK here is the first pic. This one compares the fuel tank bracket from my 99 to one I found on a 00. If you use the 00 bracket you don't have to modified it for use with the 4406.
Fuel_Tank_bracket.jpg

Cool, I wanna see what you came up with, I got a different tranny for mine last night and im shooting for next weekend, with the 4406

What do you mean by what I came up with? I just bolted everything in with no modifications. Well I did have that custom drive shaft i got from vroomzoomboom. Then I used the stock f150 front drive shaft with the conversion ujoint. Hell my f150 shaft when it real easy. On mine if you fully compress the f150 shaft it is about 3/8 short. So like I said real easy to put in. Here is a comparison of all the drive shafts. Rears on the left fronts on the right.
Drive_shafts.jpg

This was the worst part. I had no one to help me put the Tcase in. So I was laying under my truck man handling the tcase by myself. Have you guys every tried to lift a tcase over your had while laying on your back. Well it sucks.
This_sucks_.jpg

I was curious about that tank bracket, im gonna need more room then you did;)

Have you guys every tried to lift a tcase over your had while laying on your back. Well it sucks.

i did mine while it was on a lift :D

I was curious about that tank bracket, im gonna need more room then you did;)

Why do you need more room? I will see if I can go snap a pick of it really quick on the truck with the 4406.

i did mine while it was on a lift :D

You suck. LOL I was trying for the last week to get a hold of my buddy that has a lift and couldn't. And I work at a shop but its a corporate shop. They would have charged me to use a lift to do it.

Back