• Register Today It's free!

99 Won't stay running

hump

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddie Bauer
My 99 Eddie Bauer 4.0 is having problems running. The battery has been replaced and the alternator and new batter have both been checked for problems, with negative results. Fuel is flowing because it will turn over and run, but when you let your foot off of the gas, the vehicle will die. This also occurs when the vehicle is warm (i.e., driving down the freeway) and you take your foot off of the gas pedal, necessitating driving with a foot on the gas and one on the brake. When idling, when you let your foot off of the gas, the RPMs will significantly drop, it will idle rough for a few seconds, then die.

The vehicle only has 55k on it and the wife uses it back and forth to work and running the kids around town.

Any help?

sounds like a bad IAC a common prolblem

Thanks Billy...will replace it and see if that won't nip the prob!

Thanks Billy!!! That was it! I went to get the part but the Ford house was out. After talking to a buddy of mine, I ended up getting some BG406 and took it off, sprayed it and cleaned it with a soft toothbrush. Cleaned all the carbon out and its running great! Thanks again for the input!
Hump

Back