A/C Compressor clutch

scottieD

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 LTD
Hi Everyone!
A newbie here with a problem, my problem, well from what I can make out the clutch on the A/C compressor on my 1994 LTD has well and truly siezed up.
What I am wondering is can I un-sieze it, and that would be the end of my problem, or is the fact that it has siezed an indication of a problem with the compressor itself?
I would be most grateful for any advice on this problem!
Thanks.

What does 'seized up' mean here. the compressor runs all the time? Does the system cool at all?

The clutch consist of two pieces, a hub inside a pulley. During normal operation (unengaged) the pulley and belt move freely about the hub. When engaged the hub and the pulley move together.

With the car off, With the car off and the belt removed the pulley should turn freely by hand around the hub, you should also be able to turn the hub with a 10mm wrench within the pulley.. See:

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/technicalbulletins/acClutchfail.jsp

for a fairly good write-up about our compressor.

Other reasons for a constantly engaged compressor may be a faulty pressure switch on the accumulator and overcharging of the system. Generally speaking the rate at which the compressor kicks in and out on a normally functioning system is determined by the outside temperatures, with the hotter it is the longer it stays on.

If the clutch has truly seized, there is a danger that the compressor will seize and break the belt. An option is to go to an auto store and get a belt for your model without the A/C compressor.

Attachments

• clutchcomponents.gif
    clutchcomponents.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 435

Thanks for the information Shamaal, I have fitted a short belt and by-passed the compressor, with the belt off the pulley turns, but not very smoothly, it feels like something is worn, before I changed the belt I fired up the engine and the pulley turned initially but then siezed and there were a few sparks coming from inside the pulley body, any ideas where the problem might lie?
All advice is greatly appreciated!

It reads like the field coil's toast. Unplug the compressor, use the short belt until you replace the compressor. It is possible to replace the clutch only, but I've always replaced the entire unit.

There are stickies in the A/C subforum about servicing the A/C system, it requires specialized tools (gauges, vacuum pump, etc). The system is charged and the refrigerant must be removed prior to replacing the compressor.A reasonable approach is to replace the compressor yourself and have the system charged at an A/c place. This saves a fair amount of labor cost.

Back