• Register Today It's free!

A/C Compressor Clutch

Snort

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
My A/C has always been a bit on the not so cold side. Today I turned it on while the car was idling, and watched the compressor clutch cycle. It runs for about 5 seconds, then off for 5 seconds, and repeats. This seems like it's cycling way to much in order to build pressure. Any ideas on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem it cycled every 3 seconds.....I just needed a "bump" meaning more freon it was 1lb low.....cold as ice now!!

Clutch cycling on and off repeatedly pretty much always means the system is low on freon. The more time it is disengaged before engaging again, the lower the freon level is.

As I understand it, a properly charged system will have the compressor running constantly. That's how my 94 with A/C is - I actually have a compressor indicator light hooked up inside so I can see if my compressor is cycling while driving.

These systems should hold a charge indefinitely pretty much, so if it is ever low (cycling on/off), you've got a leak somewhere. Severity of the leak may vary, but you can recharge with freon that has UV dye in it so you or the shop can pinpoint the leak. Shops can also pressure test a system.

Yep,my 94 takes about 3 lbs of R134A a year to keep going. But I really need to replace some lines,o rings and the drier.......someday.:D

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I have tried to charge the system before but it seemed to not want to take much of any gas. Any tricks other than hooking the can up to the port and opening the valve?

Looking for some help...96 ford ranger 2.3L Splash...i found a leak on the high pressure valve on the A/C...this was not a repairable item so i got a new. At the same time i replaced the accumilator, all o-rings and the high pressure switch along with the clutch cyc switch...i pulled a vac on the A/C system for about 30min...then let it sit another 30min for leak test...All good...filled the system to specs and verified on a/c guages all good. Here is my problem...while truck running in drive way a/c on to max all looks good...if i increase the RPMs...then the a/c clutch starts to engage/disengage and will keep doing it. If i shut the truck off and start again all willl be back to normal till i increas the RPMs...any help or thoughts...Oh i also replaced the WOT relay...

Maybe you overfill it with gas and on high RPM's your high pressure switch is getting activated. Release little gas out.

Back