• Register Today It's free!

A/C compressor interrupt switch

gumby

Reaction score
City, State
indy, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 mountianeer 5.0AWD
over on RF we have a how-to on installin a switch in the A/C demand circuit off the backside of the HVAC control panel. this switch will interrupt the signal to the A/C compressor, givin you full control over when the compressor runs and when it does not.

http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=8210

i have done this mod on my rangers, and find that using it in the winter nets me better MPG by not runnin the compressor constantly. i run it first thing in the morning to clear the windows quickly. maintaining clear windows doesnt require compressor cycling however, so i can turn the compressor switch off and still direct the blower out the defrost vents, or my favorite position defrost/floor, w/o constant cycling and MPG robbing drag.

i did a couple searches here, and didnt come up with anything. what i am wonderin is if the A/C demand circuit is wired up the same way, and if the wire color is the same for my 98 mounty as it was in my rangers(violet).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check Autozone's website for a schematic, and color code information.
thanks, i didnt think about their website for schematics.

however, i didnt find it on any of the proper year body diagrams. i found it on the 94 body diagram, and it is purple. but its not on any of the 95-99 schematics...

Using a switch to interrupt the purple wire from the HVAC control panel would allow the compressor to be disabled in all HVAC modes when desired. This works for both EATC and manual air conditioning.

thanks Bob!

now to find a decent lookin switch again....

done, yay!

i stuck my switch down on the side next to the HVAC panel this time.
13d2f8d7.jpg

5c7b3564.jpg

Really hate to dig up an old thread Gumby...

But is it possible to show where you set your switch and which switch you opted for?
I'm on Vaca and doing minor (well... sorta) work on my truck and I came across this... I'd like to go for it and would appreciate anything you could offer.

Thanks!

P.S. I like the Signature! Ron White?

Back