• Register Today It's free!

A/C cuts out when accelerating

KITTinKC

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Limite
Yet another A/C issue with my '10 Explorer XLT. It's a 4x4 with the manual A/C controls.

I noticed that the A/C was cutting out yesterday while on the highway. I was going 60mph, and fell under that as I went up a hill. So I just lightly applied the accelerator to maintain 60mph. About 5 seconds in, the A/C cuts out and doesn't come back on until I'm able to let off the gas. It doesn't do this under heavy acceleration, however. But it was doing it each time I would go up a hill or have to keep the accelerator pressed for at least 5 to 10 seconds to maintain a certain speed. Also, I didn't notice a temperature change before it would cut out........it just blows weaker and weaker until it just isn't blowing anything. Vacuum leak or possibly something else? I don't think this is normal as I haven't had this issue before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, it sounds like a vacuum issue. It is possible that your vehicle is still covered under the Ford 3 year or 36000 mile warrantee and they would look at it free of charge or if you bought an extended warrantee you would only be out the deductible for them to take care of it.

First thing to look for is a vacuum leak. Do you hear a small air hiss on acceleration, coming from the passenger side foot area under the dash? I am too tired to explain this in great detail tonight but I will post pictures in the morning on what to do next!

ok no pictures yet, but did you see or hear any leaks?

Well I took it out and actually made a 2 hour trip with it today, and didn't even have this issue. Normally it waits until I take it to the shop to stop acting up! :)

I didn't hear a hiss from the passenger side (although I couldn't get too close while driving), but there is one coming from the center vents. And it happens quite often, maybe a few times in a minute. Almost like a tire sounds when the air is leaking out.

...I didn't hear a hiss from the passenger side (although I couldn't get too close while driving), but there is one coming from the center vents. And it happens quite often, maybe a few times in a minute. Almost like a tire sounds when the air is leaking out.

Sounds like it might be time to drop by the dealership, KITTinKC; I know they'd be happy to check this out for you. Let me know when you get a diagnosis; if you need any help from me I'll be happy to do what I can to assist. Send me your info in a PM and I'll look into some options; I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name to get started.

Crystal

PM sent. Thanks!

Back