• Register Today It's free!

A/C Does Not Work

matthewkelly38

Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
I am working on a 1992 Ford Explorer XLT V6 4.0L engine. My A/C does not blow cold air, but rather hot air when the air and light is on on the dash. When I look at the engine, it does not appear that the A/C clutch is engaging. How can I test whether or not the clutch is defective or if there are other issues (sensors, electrical, compressor switch, etc.)

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciative. I have used this site many times and have never been steered in the wrong direction. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My best guess here is your low on freon. If it were me the first coarse of action i would take is to take it to a reputable mechanic that works on a/c to test the level, unless you got a "buddy" that can do it of freon in your system, I am assuming (i know big mistake) that your '92 uses R12 and not R134. If it is using R12 you need to be certified to work on those systems and it will be spendy to fix. Another option is to convert it over to a R134 system. I cant tell you how much that costs or how easy it is as i have never done it, but someone else may chime in there.

It's not likely your clutch. Your system is most likely low on refrigerant. If it's all original it would be R-12. If it's been retrofitted it could be R-134.

You can't legally buy R-12 anymore and R-134 requires replacing every seal in the system including a new compressor.

I would talk to an A/C shop if I were you, or read up on the net about the differences and what is involved in a retrofit.

. How can I test whether or not the clutch is defective or if there are other issues (sensors, electrical, compressor switch, etc.)
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

If you want to test if the clutch is working you could jump the a/c pressure switch located on the acumulator/drier. un plug and jump to see if clutch starts. It could also be a bad pressure switch, however as the others have said it is most likely low on freon.
Hope this helps.:salute:
Happy 4th:usa:

Attachments

• ac pressure1.JPG
    ac pressure1.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,310
  • ac pressure.JPG
    ac pressure.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 997

Matthew - to echo some of the others on this thread, you're system originally was an R-12 and therefore no "shade-tree" repairable (unless you have a good friend who is an A/C certified technician). I retrofitted my '91 Ex for about $1050 about 6 years ago.

Is your clutch cycling excessively? If it is, you're terribly low on refrigerant and it will probably require a couple of cans to get your system cooling again.

If your clutch is NOT cycling at all, your compressor is most likely shot. Repairing your R-12 system will cost around $900. If you plan to keep the truck for a while longer, you'll want to skip the repair and go directly to retrofit.

Sorry to break the bad news, but I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that your local A/C shop will tell you the same thing.

Best of luck.

Back