• Register Today It's free!

A/C Help-Shorting out

96 Explorer XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Alta, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT 5.0
I have posted a couple of previous posts about my AC constantly engaging and causing my car to spudder. When in the driver through car wash, it cuts out, makes a whining noise, and battery light comes on. This is ONLY when the A/C is on. Shut the AC off, its fine. Common sense tells me this shouldnt happen. Any insight where this short could be? My entire AC unit is brand new.

After careful consideration, this may be your scenario:

Bad compressor or clutch. In the car wash, the belt gets wet and because of the bad compressor, slips on the crankshaft pulley. This makes a whining noise and, because it's slipping, doesn't drive the alternator making your battery light come on. Another possibility is a bad tensioner (losing spring tension).

Inspect your belt you may see some spots where it's rubbing through. With the engine off turn the A/C clutch by hand with a 10mm wrench, it should turn easily without binding.

To check the A/C with the clutch engaged, remove the belt.
Unplug the connector from the A/C pressure switch on the accumulator and use a paperclip to short between the two pins on the connector. Turn the key to on - but DO NOT START the engine. The A/C clutch should be engaged, spin again by hand without the wrench. It should move just as easily as before.

The constantly engaging in normal operation could be a sign of low refrigerant charge or a sign of the clutch going bad. This happened to a fellow here a couple months ago. At any rate, there shouldn't be any shudders when engaged.

Other possibilities could be something freakish. Let us know how it works out.

The refigerent is fine (I had it check again) and the mechanic mentioned that it could be just a bad clutch. Everything is brand spanking new and sometimes products are defective. Its a brand new unit and produces good cold air but seems like when its hot outside (usually 90+) the engaging starts doing its freaking engagement every 2-10 seconds-which just isnt right. The car wash thing isnt right either.

I will do some more testing and see what I come up with. Thanks for the advice.

Not that Im using my heater, I have noticed the compressor engaging a lot as well. My guess, based on a lot of different ideas, is a bad clutch.

Back