How to: - painted head lights quick & easy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: painted head lights quick & easy

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Explorer0693

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer XLT
hey guys i painted my head lights tonight and instead of taking apart the head light unit i used a tint spray paint made for head lights tail lights ect. i also did my fog lights as well. This is a very easy and quick way to paint your lights instead of taking them out putting them in the oven and then potentially ruining your headlights just to paint them.

paint_zps728971f8.jpg

this is the paint i used it is about $10-$13 and you can buy it at any autozone or probably any auto part store

paint6_zps76a793c5.jpg
you then wanna take off the lens where the light would shine though, after you take that off take a wet towel or rag to white the other part of the lens to make sure its clean, you could do this step before taping the lens if you wanted to. also in this picture you can see how i painted my fog lights i love the look of the lights now with them tinted

next step you want to use news papers to cover any of the body of the car

paint5_zpsc3ea21fc.jpg
now its time to paint this was coat number 1 out of 2 and half coats. i say 2 and half because you do 2 full coats then the half is just a quick spray to give it a final little touch to it. i took a little piece of card board and put it over the reflector so the light does shine through a little bit

paint4_zps7655c65c.jpg
this is the final product as you can see here you can still see a small small portion of the reflector so the light does still show through perfect instead of it being completely black

paint2_zpse3490c67.jpg
this is the passenger headlamp as you can also see the reflect is visible in a small portion on the light

Front View also showing the painted fog lights
paint3_zpsc49c1182.jpg

GUYS THIS STUFF DOES COME OFF!!! THIS PAINT COMES OFF WITH A RAG WITH GASOLINE ON IT!! COMES OFF VERY EASY. NO WORRIES AT ALL, IF YOU DONT LIKE THE WAY IT TURNS OUT FOR YOU COMES OFF NO PROBLEM :)

If you do it this way instead of taking apart the head light and painting the inside you can always take it off if your get sick of it. where as if ifs painted on the inside theres nothing you can really do unless you pay for new headlights.

Guys please let know what your thoughts are on this!! give me your comments and what you think and how it could have been done better! also give me some other ideas i should paint on my truck or anything i could do to it

Thanks guys, Explorer0693

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good. I remember when I was into Honda's, guys would do this all the time. looks good on your Ex. should post a pic with the headlights turned on.

I wonder if Plasti-dip would work on this? I was thinking of plasti-dipping my grill since you can just peel it off in the long run.

I wouldn't use plasti dip on the light you can on the grill tho if you gonna do your light use the stuff I showed at the top

What tire size are you crusin on? Looks good.

265/75/16

I think removing the headlight would be easier than masking everything off... 3 bolts, the same as changing a bulb.

yeah true but for me i like to just use some tape everyone is different

I'm gonna do this and plasti dip the grill!

Seems really easy too!

I removed the headlights when I did mine. But!.....mines white so no room for error with black paint haha deffinetly going to have to tint the fog lights on mine looks kinda goofy being clear still

I wonder if Plasti-dip would work on this? I was thinking of plasti-dipping my grill since you can just peel it off in the long run.

here it is from when i originally posted it

I used plasti-dip on the insides. Been almost a year, and still no problems

What's the point of painting the fog lights darker, when their whole purpose is to get as much light as possible on the road, not to make it darker?

Scorpion8 it all depends on the individual. For me i never used the fogs to tell you the truth. So i blacked it out to make it cooler. the headlights give off way enough light for my living conditions, even with the fog that i get on the Big Island.

Back