• Register Today It's free!

A/C not working

Boilerfan93

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 LTD
I recently replaced my entire A/C system (reman compressor, acc/drier, orifice tube, condenser, hoses) excluding the evaporator which I flushed. It worked great (center vent = 40 deg) for about a month. All of sudden it started blowing hot air. The pressures were as follows:
Static 85psi @ 85 deg ambient
H - 150 psi
L - 10 psi

I assumed the compressor was bad, so I had new one sent under warranty. I replaced it last night, evacuated the system. It held vacuum for 10 minutes so I assume it has no leaks. I recharged it and now I am getting the exact same pressures with no cold air!

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm no expert, but IMHO I'd check the fixed orifice tube to make sure it's not plugged up.

Thanks... that's exactly what I was thinking too! I just can't think of any reason that would cause the tube to clog. Hopefully that's all it is... sure would be a cheap fix. I was hoping to check it tonight, but we have a bad storm going through, so it will have to wait til another day. I will keep you posted.

Another thing is and you may google or search it in this forum. From what I read is to change the receiver drier out, it contains a silicate packet like what you find packaged in electronic equipment for keeping it dry. Most recommendations direct you to change it out. It's kind of important. Never mind I just looked back and it looks as if you already did.

You've got a restriction somewhere in the low side. If there's contamination then your orifice tube likely caught a bunch of it and plugged up.

Boilerfan93 i have a 94XLT which A/C died yesterday dealer says i need entire new system i dont want to try a DIY where did you get the parts and at what cost is a DIY difficult my XLY has 202K and this would be 3 system in that time
IUFAN75

dam7, I purchased my parts from Blend Air on ebay... they have been great to work with. Very knowledgeable people and have been willing to help with my problem. They replaced my compressor without any questions asked when I thought that was the problem. I highly recommend them. I purchased a reman. compressor, accum/drier, orfice tube from them for around $110... about 1/2 what I was able to find anywhere else! I also purchased the condenser off of E-bay for about $95. I purchased the hose from O'reilly's for about $70-80. The installation was fairly easy... I had to remove the radiator to get the condenser out and install the new one. It wasn't an exact match so I had to do a minor modification to bolt it in. I was able to loan the vacuum pump and manifold gauge and orifice tube removal tube from Autozone at no cost... they charge you full price for the tools, but you get full credit when you return them. I would say the installation was fairly easy, but I it's still not working!!! I was able to borrow a sniffer from a HVAC installer today... I seem to have some major leaks, so I am going to replace the all of the o-rings and check the orifice tube for a blockage and see if this fixes the problem.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Back