A/C questions

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Howdy. I miss driving my truck. I miss the board. I think I'm back. Remind me to update my signature.

I haven't got my '92 XL out mainly cuz the air con died. It has a good charge of R12 (had it checked by my mechanic). The compressor engages and all and seems to act normal, but he said that something inside must be shot, because air was cooled by like 10 degrees, even though the charge was good. I'd like to go ahead and replace some stuff.

I'll obtain a new/rebuilt compressor and that canister (the dryer?). Is there anything else I need to replace besides the O rings? Does the little filter by the power steering pump need to be replaced? My condenser should still be good and not rusted out since this is a Texas truck anyway. I'm going to "flush" the system myself with some compressed air and a solvent I haven't thought of yet. I'll have my mechanic refill it with R12 (I still have some :D ).

Since I still have a good charge, I'll have a shop evacuate the system. Is it true that they should pay/credit me, since I'm essentially giving them my very valueable R12?

Thanks guys. I probably should have searched, but I had to say I'm back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have your mech. friend evacuate for you. You should hang on to that! You may also replace the orfice tube and th hoses. Replace the hose because there is a device on the high pressure side that gets plugged as well.

Hope this helps!!
Mark

Yes, change the compressor, accumulator (cannister), and the orifice. Put 3oz of R12 refrigerant oil (mineral oil) in the compressor and 2 oz in the accumulator.

If there is black crud all over the orifice, it's in the condensor and it should be replaced; it doesn't flush.

The 'filter' by the power steering pump is an empty cylinder that acts as a muffler. Unless damaged, I see no reason to change hoses.

When changing o'rings use the green ones, it will make it easier on the next guy when he converts to R134a.

May as well convert to R134 if your gonna do all that work anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I've seen some OEM kits on ebay with the compressor/clutch, orface tube, accumulator, O rings, and oil (I think) for less than $300. I think I'll end up going that route.

Summer sucks without air con :( How come my winter truck, the Limited, has a good air con system?

Back