A/C recharge question

BradE.

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4x4
Hi guys,

I have a question about A/C recharging. I have the Interdynamics recharge kit, including the pressure gauge.

I started the car, put A/C on max and let it run for about 10 minutes. Here is my problem. The A/C compressor keeps cycling during the reading. When the compressor engages the pressure rises to 45 (very top of filled range) range, then after it cycle's off the pressure drops to 25 (the very bottom of the filled range)

Is this O.K? Or should the pressure remain constant through out the cycle? Perhaps low coolant is the reason for the compressor cycling so much?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when you a/c gets low the compressor will cycle off and alot its telling you that it is low:D

So, it sounds like I need to add some r134a? Even though the pressure range through the cycle is within the "filled" range?

If the system is cycling (at idle) it is low. The pressure should hold steady at aprox. 28-35psi.

Thanks for the info Mike. I already have the recharge kit so I will top the system off tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Back