• Register Today It's free!

A/C recharge

paul_c_nicols

Reaction score
City, State
Nashua, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
i promised a buddy i would help him recharge his a/c on his 99 (possibly 98?) X this weekend. I just attempted a recharge on a 98 honda civic last weekend with little success. i bought a can of 134a freon from kmart and plugged into low pressure side of a/c. i couldn't really tell if it worked that great?

can said, 'spray into system until cold air comes from a/c vents'. problem is that it didn't say how long this could take. 5 seconds or 5 minutes???? of course it said 'do not overfill:banghead:

any suggestion for charging and X. haven't even looked at the system, but assume the process is the same.

p.s. its a SOHC, and the air is still pretty cool (i.e. not leaking) but he wants to give it a boost.

get the guage...

get the guage setup for $30 or whatever it is and check it every-now-and-then as you fill it up. If you really want to be classy, get the one where the guage is real time and tells you the pressure as you fill it. I did mine (98) and it works great. Mine took 3 cans!

wow! 3 cans? i was hesitent to add more than 1/2 can. i am assuming the gauge tells you what the correct pressure should be, right?

Originally posted by paul_c_nicols
p.s. its a SOHC, and the air is still pretty cool (i.e. not leaking) but he wants to give it a boost.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. "Giving it a boost" could just overcharge it. Invest in a set of manifold guages. That'll guarantee it doesn't get overcharged.

-Joe-

Back