• Register Today It's free!

A/C vent issues

3500ctd

Reaction score
City, State
Stevens Point Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer V8
Im having trouble with my '99 explorer only blowing a/c out the defrost. I know there are other postings with similar problems but everyone elses problem seems to blow out the defrost all the time where mine only blows out the defrost in the a/c settings or when it is supposed to blow out there. If I changed it to the floor setting it will blow out the floor. With that said wouldnt the vacuum system be working fine since it is changing to the floor and also the recurculating door operates just fine. I did replace the vacuum globe and the dash switch just to rule out those problems. Also couldnt find any breaks in the vacuum lines. I took it in to a shop today and he said he could see the door that is supposed to be operating and used a long screwdriver to bump the door and then the vacuum actuator took the door the rest of the way and the vents worked fine. As soon as you shut the truck off or change the door back to the defrost setting and then try to change it back to the dash vents it stick closed untill it gets a little bump from a screwdriver.....SO...the question is is the door just plain old sticking and I need to get it out and inspect it or could the vacuum actuator be weak. I probably should mention when this problem first started the a/c would switch to defrost under acceleration and then when the RPM"s leveld off it would go back to the dash vents. Man...I havent typed this much in years! Thanks in advance

Turns out it was the vacuum diaphram under the dash

Thanks for posting your solution. I have a similar problem - All air diverts to the floor vents only when accelerating or climbing a hill, but works correctly otherwise.

Back