2002 - Need help with A/C vent issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 - Need help with A/C vent issue

>>>>>>>>>
From what I can see, the passenerger side or upper right corner of my air recirculation door appears to be leaning or hanging downward, making me think it's come out of it's attachment point. The left side or drivers side, appears to be still level and attached. It hasn't fallen to the bottom of the box yet like in those pictures at the web link.

That is definitely possible. Nothing holds the door snug in place. It is kind of a free-floating hinge so if that hinge vibrates left or right, it will fall. And, if one side fails, it prevents proper operation AND, eventually, the other side will fall too blocking the suction of the blower.

That is the point where I noticed it. All of a sudden, I was barely getting any air flow but the blower still sounded full blast.

As a (hopefully) permanent fix, I drilled a pinhole in the right side nub and threaded a regular ole paper clip through to prevent the right side from ever falling in again. Easy fix that FORD should have engineered into the door.

Just a follow-up to this thread for future searchers.

I had the low air volume issue with almost no air coming out of the vents in position 1-3, 4 was only ok, but very loud. I expected leaves and debris, but not a failed recirc door.

First of all, I have an 02 Explorer XLT with non-digital hvac. I accomplished this job in just over 3 hours and 2 cups of coffee this afternoon. It wasn't bad, just take your time and think your way through it.

The only thing I'll add is to agree that I didn't break the box open once I had access. I too was able to split it from the blower housing enough to work it out and then back in once I oriented all the parts. Also, I did not have to loosen the steering column, I was able to pull the dash out enough for access to the recirc box.

I found that I had a ton of leaves and debris in the box and the door was completely off and laying on top of the blower - no wonder we had no air!

This is as far as I had to pull back the dash to do what I needed:
20130928_144628.jpg

Here is what I found inside - the door on top of leaves:
20130928_142811.jpg

Once the door was pulled out, here's what I faced:
20130928_143538.jpg

A good look at the door and it was fine - neither of the tabs were broken.
20130928_143532.jpg

After cleaning out the leaves, I slid the door back in and began with placing the upper right side in its slot first. I then worked the upper left side in by manipulating the actuator arm until it fit in the slot on the upper left of the door and moved as it was supposed to. To check function, I cranked the car and confirmed that it was in the correct spot and opening/closing correctly.

I took the earlier advice and drilled the upper right for a paper clip to act as a holder and perhaps ensure that it doesn't fall off again. I then wrapped the paper clip around the front grate and while maybe a bit ghetto, I think it's a good idea:
20130928_151226.jpg

20130928_151212.jpg

Back in place where it should be. Time to button everything up:
20130928_151206.jpg

It really did only take me just over 3 hours from start to finish. It's 11 bolts that hold the dash in place and there's no need to pull the steering column. Frankly, the one that took the longest was the secret 10mm bolt accessed from the engine side of the firewall.

I now have full function again on settings 1, 2, 3. No special tools needed at all and basic mechanic skills will get you home.

Mike

Thanks for the update. And the pics!

Seeing your pics brought up a little feeling of annoyance at Ford for such a lazy design. Five seconds of brain power would have made this a non-issue from the factory.

Back