A/C weak air flow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C weak air flow

Scout3

Reaction score
City, State
Orange Park. Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
I bought a 97 XLT with the SOHC 4.0. I had to do the blend door repair and topped off the freon but otherwise in very good condition. I have a question about the blower fan. The airflow seems kind of weak. The vehicle will cool down and get okay but it takes a while. The fan changes speed with each fan setting, but it just doesn't blow that hard. I haven't had an Explorer before and it may be working okay but I don't know. If I had twice the air flow it would be fine. On short trips it really isn't worth while to run the Ac because just as it gets comfortable you arrive. Long trips okay. Is it just normal for Explorers to not have a strong fan? Thanks.

Ed

Mine will blow colder air better than any car i have sat in!

Might want to check vent routing (loose pipes maybe AC'in your dash lol) also blower motor could be bad or maybe blower resistor?

Anyone else? I try to clean my blower motor out with CRC electrical cleaner only on the electrical motor part outside of car and unplugged of course. You can inspect the electrical motor brushes and if they are shot or small chances are your blower is barely working getting the electricity it needs.

I've never looked, and also never seen one in a repair manual, but is there an air filter anywhere that may need to be cleaned/replaced? I bought my '00 XLT brand new and my blower seems to be working just as good now as when I bought it. A coworker bought a new KIA and found out there is a filter that he has to clean, and that got me wondering.

Back