• Register Today It's free!

A few Clunks (front & rear)

RammaR

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4x4
I'm trying to fix a couple of annoying 'clunks' on my '96. I'm pretty sure the front end clunk is related to the torsion bars. However I replaced both Torsion bar adjusters last weekend (old ones were in horrible shape) and the noise is better but not completely eliminated. To me, it looks like the socket at the front end where the torsion bar fits into the lower control arm is supposed to have some sort of bushing. The passenger side has what looks like part of a bushing, but the driver's side fits very loosely. Can I replace just that bushing without having to order new torsion bars? I'm gussing that the clunk is the bar twisting in the socket when hitting a bump or entering the driveway. Anyone have a similar experience? Some searches for other clunks turned up front sway bar bushings but those look to be in decent shape and the torsion bushings look bad.

For the rear clunk, it happens more around corners than hitting a bump. I've got it lifted with a set of the Warrior 153 shackles and think it might have something to do with extra side to side play of the shackles. I'm pretty sure its not exhaust related (custom cat-back). Maybe rear sway bar bushings? I can't reproduce it by bouncing up and down on the rear bumper or trying rock it side to side.

Thanks in advace for any advice.

Here's a picture of the front end of the torsion bar. It just slide in and out really easy when installing the new adjusters at the other end of the torsion bar. It also felt like it had a lost of 'twisting' play -- so does anyone know if there is a bushing that can be replaced or is it time for a new bar?

TorsionBar.jpg

Thanks

Back