A few of questions about cruise control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A few of questions about cruise control

Alexdeluca

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer xlt
1. Is the cruise control light suppose to come on with all the other dash lights when you first turn on the car?(mine doesnt)

2. If it is suppose to does that mean my bulb is just blown or is it wired so that if the cruise control doesnt work the light doesnt come on?

3. I read on the forum that the most common problem with the cruise control was for the recall on the pressure sensor on the brake master cylinder. After reading, I bought the new black pressure sensor and harness that was recomended, but that didnt work. My question here is what are some of the other issues it may be? Like i said i have a brand new pressure sensor and i also bought brand new switches because the old ones were melted. Cruise control hasnt worked since i bought my ex. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no. it only comes on when you press the ON button and then the SET/ACCEL button or RESUME. it's blue and is on the right side of the inst cluster and says something like "SPEED CONTRL ON". if it's like some other cars i've owned, it may only work if you're going over a certain speed (like 30). if it's on and you step on the brake it goes off.

you didn't have to buy the fused jumper wire, Ford will still honor the recall and it's to prevent overheating and possible fire. i just had it done on a 2000 Mountaineer. the wire doesn't fix anything.

I have used the speed control at like 60 and the light doesnt even flash, i know where it is too so there must be an issue.

I didnt buy the fused harness. My car was already serviced for the harness before i bought the car but i dont know if the sensor shorted before that but it is to my understanding that the recall harness just prevents a spark from carrying through it doesnt prevent the sensor from leaking which is why you need to get the new sensor. Correct me if im wrong, but im just trying to figure out how to fix this because i drive long highway distances occassionally so it would be more comfortable.

try the simple stuff first. there have been a few people here that have had problems with cruise controls here. first simple thing is, dose your horn work? if no, you have a blown fuse. there are two of them. one in the fuse box on the side of the dash, and a 10 amp in the power distribution box under the hood.

if your only concern is that the light doesn't work, it's likely the bulb is burnt out or missing. i just replaced my CHECK ENGINE light bulb, as it was burnt out. Ford puts a bulb in every socket of the instrument cluster at the factory, so i just swapped it with a bulb for an option my truck doesn't have (4WD light) and the problem was solved for free. Ford thoughtfully labels the back of the cluster so you know which bulbs your fooling with. while your back there, i stronly suggest you replace the 6 illumination bulbs too. if you'd like, i can tell you how to remove the cluster. bit of a PITA, but not that hard and you can also adjust your PRNDL pointer (if you have an auto trans) so it perfectly points at what gear you're in (instead of being off center).

My concern is not that the bulb doesn't work it is that the
Cruise control doesn't work. I tried to do the diagnostic test but either I was doing it wrong or my bulb is blown. I just don't know

How do the buttons on the steering wheel feel? Flat and hard or do you feel some give when pushing the on button or the set and accel buttons? If hard and no give your controls are most likely done for and need replacing. Hope this helps

Back