A modification to consider... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A modification to consider...

This is being taken way out of context, you are listening to the concert, unlike a DVD player with a movie playing. Similar to navigation, are you watching the map the entire time? No, you are listening to the navigation voice and glancing at the map periodically, only when necessary.

Combine App's with Apple's SIRI and it's probably a lot safer than doing anything on a cell phone by hand when driving. You may want to read the caption in the link below regarding it's claim for safer driving with Apps on the center screen.

Car Play for Apple
https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just being a sarcastic smart ass, but my point is still valid.

It's not simple. There are scenarios that need to be considered and accounted for. Ford has very deep pockets and as such, Ford will tread very carefully to avoid potential lawsuits.

Most of the scenarios that you or I agree are pretty mundane or are acceptable for a passenger, may still get shot down by Ford's Lawyers.

For example, why does Ford's Sync App for the phone disable itself when it senses that it's moving? Why isn't there a bigger up roar that Ford should back off and let a passenger use the app?

Why can't Ford use the seat sensor for the airbag system to confirm that a passenger is actually present, then let them enter an address in the navigation?

If we can't get past these basic scenarios, we aren't going to get to more complex scenarios such as listening to Youtube on your car while driving (Did Youtube start letting you listen to videos when the app isn't on screen?)

I do agree with one Mantra I keep hearing. The should not be any display intended for the driver containing more information than the driver can comprehend in a single glance. If it takes more than a glance to recognize the information that the driver is looking for, then it's distracting the driver from the road.

On the plus side, Tesla did push out their Autopilot to all the vehicles this week. Once this technology becomes more widely accepted, we may start seeing manufacturer's back off on the nanny controls a little bit (while the Autopilot is engaged of course).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.....Why can't Ford use the seat sensor for the airbag system to confirm that a passenger is actually present, then let them enter an address in the navigation.
That's an easy one. You can simply put something on the seat heavy enough to have the sensor think the seat is occupied.

Peter

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just being a sarcastic smart ass, but my point is still valid.

It's not simple. There are scenarios that need to be considered and accounted for. Ford has very deep pockets and as such, Ford will tread very carefully to avoid potential lawsuits.

Most of the scenarios that you or I agree are pretty mundane or are acceptable for a passenger, may still get shot down by Ford's Lawyers.

For example, why does Ford's Sync App for the phone disable itself when it senses that it's moving? Why isn't there a bigger up roar that Ford should back off and let a passenger use the app?

Why can't Ford use the seat sensor for the airbag system to confirm that a passenger is actually present, then let them enter an address in the navigation?

If we can't get past these basic scenarios, we aren't going to get to more complex scenarios such as listening to Youtube on your car while driving (Did Youtube start letting you listen to videos when the app isn't on screen?)

I do agree with one Mantra I keep hearing. The should not be any display intended for the driver containing more information than the driver can comprehend in a single glance. If it takes more than a glance to recognize the information that the driver is looking for, then it's distracting the driver from the road.

On the plus side, Tesla did push out their Autopilot to all the vehicles this week. Once this technology becomes more widely accepted, we may start seeing manufacturer's back off on the nanny controls a little bit (while the Autopilot is engaged of course).

What we are discussing are very small issues that should be easy for Ford to implement. I think you are being a bit conservative from the legal standpoint, especially if they do something that has already be done and deemed safe.

What Ford really needs to be concerned about is that the antiquated automobile industry is finally undergoing a paradigm shift that will be lead by technology companies. Hopefully they are either working with them or planning ahead.

Hello has anyone installed FREEDOM IN MOTION MyTouch Lockpick™ system.

I am looking to add a front camera and sides. I like the BMW system that gives you all around view of your car.

Looking for feedback of the system.

Hello has anyone installed FREEDOM IN MOTION MyTouch Lockpick™ system.

I am looking to add a front camera and sides. I like the BMW system that gives you all around view of your car.

Looking for feedback of the system.

I have merged your thread with one of the existing ones. We ask that you try the search function before starting a new thread so all like topics stay together. Using the search function with keyword "lockpick" brought up many discussions.

Thanks

Back