A modification to consider... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A modification to consider...

MikB

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 F150 XLT Sport 4x4
I put one of these in my Mustang when it didn't come with a rear view camera and this product worked great. It even has options for on the run video and navigation manipulation. I will be getting one of these so as to add up to two more cameras. I'd like a front view and maybe a side view camera added to my Ex and this is the product to do it. A little on the spendy side maybe but, worth it, IMO. Good, quality construction and easy to hide. I installed this item myself on my Mustang 'cause I'm handy that way :D. You may require some assistance with a tech. Either way, you won't be disappointed, IMO, of course. :salute:

https://www.coastaletech.com/mytouch.htm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lockpick isn't anything new. If I were to give my opinion it would not be good. I had one for a while and ended up selling it.

CoastalTech is a unethical business. No Customer Support and they don't stand behind their product. Google their reviews first, buyer beware. I had one for 07 Yukon Denali, same thing sent it back.

I put one of these in my Mustang when it didn't come with a rear view camera and this product worked great. It even has options for on the run video and navigation manipulation. I will be getting one of these so as to add up to two more cameras. I'd like a front view and maybe a side view camera added to my Ex and this is the product to do it. A little on the spendy side maybe but, worth it, IMO. Good, quality construction and easy to hide. I installed this item myself on my Mustang 'cause I'm handy that way :D. You may require some assistance with a tech. Either way, you won't be disappointed, IMO, of course. :salute:

https://www.coastaletech.com/mytouch.htm

I've used Coastal lockpicks on my Escalade ESV and Chrysler 300 with no problem. I'm looking at this one for the 2016 Explorer Limited but have to confirm it will work on the 2016: https://www.coastaletech.com/mytouchair.htm Pricey but all the bells and whistles.

I'm not going to quote any of the negative contents about this product and I'm sorry some have had problems. But, there isn't to many products that don't have some problems with customer dissatisfaction at one point or another. Ford, GM and Chrysler come to mind. ;) Therefore, some should stay away from any product that causes them a problem maybe.

On the other hand, products like this one do have their success stories, like mine, and found it very useful. After driving my Explorer for sometime now, the usefulness of an extra camera or two will be very beneficial to me and I dare say, most others. It's been a while since I researched this product but, I'm fairly certain the reviews where more positive than negative for this product. Otherwise I would have taken a pass the first time around and I'm not easily parted from my money. :) :salute:

I hope Ford is reading this thread, this is not far off in the future for all electronics in all cars to have this capability. Perhaps some of it's function can be built into next upgrade of Sync 3.9, like seeing the face of your cell phone on screen, it simply cannot be that complicated.

I hope Ford is reading this thread, this is not far off in the future for all electronics in all cars to have this capability. Perhaps some of it's function can be built into next upgrade of Sync 3.9, like seeing the face of your cell phone on screen, it simply cannot be that complicated.

Isn't that called CarPlay?

Isn't that called CarPlay?

It could be called CarPlay, not sure. It can't be all that difficult to do in any car. They could have under the tab call Apps that currently is not used for anything. The way it would work is if your phone was connected via bluetooth and you pressed the tab named Apps, the face of your phone would appear will all of it's Apps. That would be a very worthwhile upgrade in Sync 3.9.

Car Play for Apple
https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Android Auto for Andriod
http://www.android.com/auto/

...scroll down to view manufacturers logos.

Highly unlikely Ford will allow connectivity to these app systems, past performance indicates they for whatever reason, dont want to give up their center console to these in particular,
but no app connectivity is currently avail for Sync v2 w/ MFT, and no one knows about Sync3.
Sync w/out MFT, limited apps are available after a 5 years.

Highly unlikely Ford will allow connectivity to these app systems, past performance indicates they for whatever reason

That's a shame, because that is the future. It would be great to have the option of Car Play by Apple vs. a one size fits all.

Getting your phone to display on a screen is a very easy feat, even for Ford.

The reason 'FORD' doesn't do it is simple, everyone in this country loves to sue. Ford is trying to avoid the liability of failing to protect the users from themselves.

The reason 'FORD' doesn't do it is simple, everyone in this country loves to sue. Ford is trying to avoid the liability of failing to protect the users from themselves.
I think they call that 'distracted driving'.

Peter

Where their is a will there is a way, they could have it operate like the navigation system, when moving over at speeds of 3 or 5 mph it cannot be operated and will only play the App that is running.

Where their is a will there is a way, they could have it operate like the navigation system, when moving over at speeds of 3 or 5 mph it cannot be operated and will only play the App that is running.

What if the App is YouTube?

What if the App is YouTube?

It does not matter what the App is, so long and you open it up and start it before reaching 3 or 5 mph. Example - if you open up a Led Zeppelin concert on YouTube at a red light and press play, once you are moving the concert will continue to play. It's a very simple concept that I'm hoping Ford can take over the finish line.

Not sure what's the fuss about more integration and the likes.
It has more than enough features to allow you to drive from point a to b.
Personally, once I start to drive, I can care less about all of the gadgets; as my concentration solely is on driving.

It does not matter what the App is, so long and you open it up and start it before reaching 3 or 5 mph. Example - if you open up a Led Zeppelin concert on YouTube at a red light and press play, once you are moving the concert will continue to play. It's a very simple concept that I'm hoping Ford can take over the finish line.

So you are going to watch a Led Zeppelin concert while driving? Ford is not going to accept that risk that you get into an accident because you were watching a concert.

Personally, I can't stand the idea of protecting people from the themselves, but I understand why manufacturers are trying to protect themselves from lawsuits.

The technology/vehicles are reaching the point where they are preventing any passenger from doing perfectly reasonable activities, all in the name of preventing the driver from violating laws and doing it themselves.

All day long, the passenger should be able to enter addresses into the navigation. It's no different than using a map.

Not sure what's the fuss about more integration and the likes.
It has more than enough features to allow you to drive from point a to b.
Personally, once I start to drive, I can care less about all of the gadgets; as my concentration solely is on driving.

Totally agree with this. I'm sure there's need for some to have all the gadgets available to them for what ever reason but, it's also important to note that the driver should not be operating any features while driving that goes beyond changing a channel or switching audio option. Let the passenger do the rest if you have one.

While the product I put up has options for DVD on the fly, it is not something you want to be paying attention to while your driving. It's more for the passengers convenience. My own interest in being able to have more than one camera view and also being able to manipulate them in certain situations as an aid and nothing more. For example, being able to monitor a trailer while you are on the move or that extra view of the trailer while backing.

Be careful out their! :salute:

.....Personally, I can't stand the idea of protecting people from the themselves, but I understand why manufacturers are trying to protect themselves from lawsuits.
It isn't so much about protecting the person from themselves as it is protecting others that share the road. In Ontario, distracted driving has caused more deaths than impaired driving. That is why the penalties here have been drastically increased.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you are going to watch a Led Zeppelin concert while driving? Ford is not going to accept that risk that you get into an accident because you were watching a concert.

This is being taken way out of context, you are listening to the concert, unlike a DVD player with a movie playing. Similar to navigation, are you watching the map the entire time? No, you are listening to the navigation voice and glancing at the map periodically, only when necessary.

Combine App's with Apple's SIRI and it's probably a lot safer than doing anything on a cell phone by hand when driving. You may want to read the caption in the link below regarding it's claim for safer driving with Apps on the center screen.

Car Play for Apple
https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Back