A Sad Day | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Sad Day

So does anyone know how much I can realistically expect to get for my car? or any ways to perhaps get more money out of it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So does anyone know how much I can realistically expect to get for my car? or any ways to perhaps get more money out of it?

Unless you find someone specifically interested in your mods, you'll have a tough time selling it for KBB value. High schoolers would be a good bet to look into, but I wouldn't bank on it (especially if it's mommy and daddy buying it for them). As always, there is craigslist :) If you still have stock equipment you could try putting it back on and selling your mods separately. Might yield a bit more money. My buddy had a highly modded '03 cobra vert and did that, ended up getting more than he though he would. And yes, I'm aware that a cobra is a little different than an explorer :rolleyes: but you get my point.

In my opinion, I have to agree with some of these guys and say keep it for now and make minor mods to save gas mileage, unless you plan on keeping the civic (or whatever else you decide on) long enough to have it pay for itself. To me, it looks like if you were to keep a civic for anything longer than 2+ years it would be the better decision.

Or just get a bike. You're in cali after all :D

Well I want to to sell the car and get a new one anywhere from now to the end of the summer so I'm not in a huge hurry but the sooner the better. I would put some stock parts back on the explorer but I don't have the stock parts, I would probably have to trade some stuff and perhaps recover a bit of money that way, the exhaust system is the only thing I wouldn't think of putting back to stock since the stock cat-back system has probably been meleted down and made into another muffler by now.

Suzuki GSXR 750 = 40 mpg :)

yeah i still live with my parents and when i was about 6 years old they told me "if you get a tattoo, piercing, or motorcycle you're outta here" so as much as i would love to ride a bike it sounds like i might have to put that dream on the back burner until i get the heck out of the house!!

Maybe I should "ride" over and listen to your catback exhaust...

Been thinking about getting one but I'd like to hear how it sounds.

Then your parents would know what kinda friends your REALLY hanging out with. :)

feel free if you want to hear how its sounds. maybe if you demonstrated how fun, efficient and safe (if driven properly) they are they would change their minds haha.

Listen bro. I had a 99' Eddie Bauer with the 5.0 and i sold it about a month ago. I had 3'' lift spindles on it, an SOA conversion, BRAND NEW 295/75/16 BFG's on it, a Surco safari rack with four 6'' lights on it. I also had a custom exhaust with no cats into a Magnaflow x-pipe into dual Mac Flowpath muffler with 3'' tips out the back. I also had a Mac CAI.

The vehicle was in perfect condition and everything worked and i still only got $3,000 for it......good luck

-Colton

how many miles were on the car?

look at his signature :thumbsup:

What? oh yeah, and I saw there are 150,000 miles on the '99, mine has 110,000. that is a major reason that the car only went for $3000.

well i agree with all of you that i should just save a couple thousand bucks and keep the explorer but unfortunately im kind of getting the shaft from my work right now and money will be tight for a few months.

yeah but it can't beat 38 highway (i know because a friend of mine achieved this once in his civic), and let's face it, civics are the most reliable form of transportation ever.

Ya as long as they don't have head gasket problems...
So your garanteed that what ever you buy has been looked after as well as your Ex???
The civix (or any honda for that matter) is a farely reliable vehicle but when they start to have problems they are junk.
Your Ex sounds like it has been very well looked after and will last you a good long time (but who knows hey???)
All I really know is if I had to drive huge milage a day I would much rather do it in an Ex over a buzzy little honda... You are going to hate that little tin can in no time flat...

But that's just my opnion...lol...

nothing is cheaper than the vehicle you already own and have paid for..

ALl those people who ran out to replace their large vehicles with a small car usually don't look at the bottom line numbers in the cost to replace a vehicle.

It sounds like you really want to get rid of your Ex and move on, which is fine, but if you are doing it purely for gas mileage then I would suggest you start putting down some numbers on paper. Tax, Tags, insurance, car payments, extras for new car (floor mats, steering wheel cover, inspection(if it passes)) then of course there is the amount you will loose in depreciation of your ex.

All I really know is if I had to drive huge milage a day I would much rather do it in an Ex over a buzzy little honda... You are going to hate that little tin can in no time flat...

i had to drive a civic ex for about 4 months before i got my explorer. its like driving around in a go-kart. I felt like i was going to get run over by every car that passed me because I was so low to the ground and slow...

If money is going to be tight, and if you don't get enough money from the sale of your explorer to buy the car you want, then you will have to take out a loan, which means a car payment plus gas, then it will likely cost just as much, if not more to buy the car that gets better gas mileage. The only time I've seen this work was when a buddy of mine, he drove a 91 K1500 GMC 4x4 with the 350, averaged about 10 mpg. He kept the truck (was his dads and can't for the life of him sell it), and took out a loan to buy his moms toyota camry 4cyl. He went from 10 mpg to about 40 mpg. He was driving over 40 miles one way to work. He figured it out, he saved about $50 a month by buying the car and taking out the loan. When he did this, gas was about 2.75/gal. He went about 400 miles/week just for work, in his old truck this is 40 gals. 40*2.75=$110, then multiply it by 4 weeks is $440 just in gas. For the camry, 400 miles, is about 10 gals, 10*2.75=$27.50, times 4 weeks, $110 a month for gas. His monthly payment was about $300. 440-110=$330. Again, this is just going back and forth to work, and shows that there was not that big a savings. But he had a sever case of really bad mileage, to a vehicle that got really good mileage. But going from an explorer to something that gets similar mileage is not going to show the same results. You would have to drive way more than the 80 miles a day to show any kind of results.

Dan

Colinscool,

Did your Ex ever sell? If so how much?

Back