• Register Today It's free!

A Sad Day

coliniscool

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
So I realized within the last few months that I am going to have to get rid of my explorer :( because i am going to start going to school pretty far away while living at home. I am planning on selling my 1997 XLT and buying 1998 or 1999 Acura Integra, from what I hear they are a safe bet all around. It looks like I can pick an integra up anywhere between about $4500 - $6000. I have figured with the recent and overall care of my explorer I could get at least $5500 for it. My question to all of you out there is what you think I should settle for. Bluebook tells me about $4400, but i think with the modest modifications I have made to the car it should sell for a bit more. Here are some specs:

1997 Explorer XLT: 110,000 miles, Nearly all highway driving, no racing
5-speed auto tranny
4.0L SOHC V6
Limited slip differential
Roof rack w/yakima snowboard rack
Running Boards
Foglights
Leather Interior
Bucket/Power front seats
Panasonic headunit w/pioneer three-way 6"x8" speakers
Electrochromatic rearview mirror
Towing Package
Keyless entry
Automatic on/off headlights
Anti-theft system
Clear Corner Headlights
Billet grill
K&N Intake system
Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (Not too loud)
Black 15" Rockcrawler rims w/ 31x10.5x15" BF Goodrich All Terrains (95% tread left).
war153 1.5" rear lift shackles

Recent Work:

Major Tuneup:
New Platinum Plugs
New O2 Sensors
New High Performance Wires
New Shocks
New Front and Rear Differential Fluids (Synthetic)
New Rebuilt transfer Case
New Front left CV half shaft
New Timing Belts (Changed 10,000 miles ago).
Oil Changed every 3,000 miles religiously.

All Routine Maintenance Performed

Here are some pics of what it all looks like together.

carpic4.jpg
carpic2.jpg
carpic1.jpg
carpic3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh and if anybody is interested in the car that lives in or near San Jose, CA should let me know. my phone number is (408) 314-5402.

Modifications in general do not appreciate the value of the car -- they typically bring the value down, especially if the modifications is for "off-road" use. A stock vehicle in good shape often brings in the most cash.

my target buyer is going to be high schoolers i think. I have driven offroad with the car once.

you're likely going to get hosed if you sell it. I'm assuming your only worry is gas mileage. Even if you got KBB for it, you'd still be looking at $1000 to $1500 additional to get the Integra you're thinking about.

I think you can get a Honda Civic (I think EX is the gas mileage champ) for a lot less than an Integra and keep your Explorer.

Keep the Explorer, sure the Integra gets better mileage but I would think that insurance would be much higher. And, I'm not so sure about where you live but up here in Seattle, Integras are one of the most stolen cars.

That is all true but I am having a lot of trouble rationalizing paying $15 in gas for a round-trip to work from my house. Integras are stolen a lot true, but my brother has one and he had some professionally installed anti-theft stuff put in (fuel pump switch hidden somewhere in the car i think). so honda civic ex huh? what prices are those going for nowadays?

How much in a difference of price are you going to be paying in gas for the Explorer compared to the Acura? How long would it take to add up and negate the cost of the anti-theft system? The MPG in the Explorer can always be improved too. If you've only off-roaded it once and don't plan on doing that keep the Explorer and return it to stock ground equipment. That would be a help right off the bat probably in MPG.

I've gotta go with everyone on this, your not going to get anything for the stuff you put into the explorer (thats a loss), you need to shell out cash for another car (thats a loss), insurance will be much higher (thats a loss), Gas may be a little less (that's a gain) but how much, even if the new car gets twice the gas mileage let's do the math

19mpg @ 12k/year @ 3.00/gal = ~$1,894.74 per year in gas
38mpg @ 12k/year @ 3.00/gal = ~$947.36 per year in gas

with a savings of only $947 per year, plus the extra money in insurance, the money you will need to shell out for the new car, and the loss of the upgrades to the X, it will take you years to recover the cash you initially put out. Not to mention the amount of money you need to put into the new car for accessories and stuff you need.

I would say keep the X, it is really your cheapest option.

You could also sell the mods on your Explorer that you don't really need like the lift items.

I'm guessing your in the market for a lift :D

I'm guessing your in the market for a lift :D

Actually not at this time. Although if you would like to buy his lift parts and donate them to my lifting an Explorer cause I wouldn't be offended. :D

Great, Finally get another San Jose Ex'er here and he wants out of the deal. I already have 3 in my stable and don't need a 4th at this time (I just paid $3500) for my 97 Mounty with 110k and really nice shape.

I don't think trying to talk him out of selling is going to work.

Cool - what school is so far away from SJ?

wow 3 ex's nolimit? yeah if i could afford to hold on to my explorer i totally would, I have been doing more research and it looks like I can get a pretty decent 96-98 civic EX for no more than about $5000. At this time I need to cut my losses on my explorer and drive something that I won't really have to worry about as much. I am actually going to wyotech in fremont this september and it's going to be 60 miles of driving a day roughly. The reason I got my explorer in the first place was to haul stuff around, go to the snow, and work on it all the time (mod's and whatnot); however, at this point I don't need to haul stuff or work on it (im pretty much done with what i wanted to do) and my friend just bought a mazda protege 5 which we will be using to get the snow this next season. I feel like if I hold on to my ex for a few years I will be paying for something I don't really need. *sigh*

oh and by the way, parts on the car might be for sale if the right offer should come along :)

Is that a Cal State Long Beach sticker on the back window? Nice lookin explorer, good luck with the sale if you decide to go through with it.

it is indeed a cla state long beach sticker, not on there anymore however. thanks for wishing me luck, it appears i will need it haha.

sweet ride mounty, i dig the '00 big time.

Congrats on the Wyotech thing. I used to commute to Pleasenton from SJ. That's when I added the Kawaski Vulcan to my collection. Great mileage and loads of fun to ride. You know, you will have a reverse commute to Fremont and it's all highway. Your mileage might be pretty good if you watch your max speeed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah but it can't beat 38 highway (i know because a friend of mine achieved this once in his civic), and let's face it, civics are the most reliable form of transportation ever.

Back