A tire problem (TPMS). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A tire problem (TPMS).

bought me to this forum. I had a recurring leak in the front left tire (3x in 4 months) that was detected by the TPMS; the Shop foreman diagnosed it as a leaking stem valve. I agreed to have the shop replace the stem valve (TPMS sensor). Bummer! I was told I had to drive the car at 15 MPH for 1/2 mile to reset the warning msg. Didn't happen. A day later I am still dealing with the issue. A forum post listed on Google focused in on the resetting procedure I/shop have to do to reset the TPMS. Now I am tracking down my options. Live and learn.

TPMS Leak

I have a leak around the tire valve stem. Can you replace just the valve stem or do you have to replace the complete sensor unit. I found a replacement valve stem on the internet and would rather replace just the stem if possible.

Leak around the valve stem on my 2004 XLT

I have a leak around the tire valve stem. Can you replace just the valve stem or do you have to replace the complete sensor unit. I found a replacement valve stem on the internet and would rather replace just the stem if possible.

OK, I will assume that you have confirmed that your 2004 XLT has the TMPS (a safe bet since my 2004 EB has it). Some of the posted pictures at this site show a valve stem connected to the sensor. That is, on your car it is one piece stem and sensor and costs about $65.00. Once it is replaced, you must recalibrate ALL tires. This is something you can do and save about $250.00. That driving around under 15 MPH info is a bogus procedure for the TMPS. Get a hold of the procedure posted for accessing the TMPS via the sensor display on the console then calibrate each tire placing the magnet near each valve stem in the sequence noted. The only thing weird I noted about the procedure was the method of accessing the TMPS, but if you follow it exactly it works. Warning, you will get the msg that the tire pressure is low every time you start your car unless you recalibrate all tire sensors with the magnet. Good luck

Thanks.

Thanks for the information on the TMPS. From reading the posts it appears to be a frustating problem when its not properly working.

Back