2002 4x4 aftermarket tire problem! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4x4 aftermarket tire problem!

I put beautiful new 18 x 8.5 rims & Pirelli Scorpion tires on my 2002 4x4. After a month I started hearing a metal rod hitting another metal rod noise under the car while driving. When I took the car in to my Ford dealer they told me it was the 4x4 transfer case trying to engage because the car perceives a difference with new tires! Therefore causing the transfer case to search for the appropriate traction. Upon comparing the factory tires with the new ones the diameter of the factory tires versus the new tires is very small and does not appear to be the problem!? When I replaced the new tires with the factory 16's the transfer case stopped trying to adjust itself. How can I fix this problem? Does anyone else with aftermarket tires have this problem? Ford says they do not recognize aftermarket problems because the factory tires eliminate the problem. Help!
If you have a 4x2 you will not have this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transfer case engaging itself based soley on the fact that you put new rims and tires on it seems a bit far fetched if you ask me. You would have more traction with your new rims and tires than the stock setup. Perhaps the dealer is trying to avoid the fact that your t-case (or other suspension part) has some problems by blaming the symptoms on your new rims! It wouldn't be the first time.....

The new tires make a huge difference in traction and handling. But, the sensors that control the transfer case are confused by the new tires. This causes the transfer case to try and compensate for the new difference. (The noise the transfer case makes sounds loud and damaging and happens frequently!) No one can tell me if it is the additional weight or width of the tire or something else, is causing the problem. I consulted with the aftermaket shop that put on the new tires and they were baffled. They even called Globe tire in Los Angeles (which is as busy as MacDonalds during lunch) and they said since the diameter of the tires was pretty much the same that there should be no problem. Then we tried adjusting the tire pressure to see if that through off the sensors. No luck. At 40, 35 and 32lbs the car still makes the noise!? Who can solve this problem?

Like I said, I think you have something wrong with your t-case, but I could be wrong.

now that would completely stupid in my opinion for ford to make a vehicle where putting non stock wheels/rims on would cause a problem (outside of big 35s or something). it wouldn't surprise me though.

the fact that you say it started a month after you put the tires on is what is strange. if the vehicle perceives a difference, it shouldn't take it a month to perceive that. sounds like the dealer doesn't want to have to fix something to me.

Ford is pulling your chain, I have a 02 Explorer with 4x4 and I put LT 265 75R 16's on it and they have given me no problem. Just throw my speedo off. It shouldn't matter what size your tires are as long as they are all the same size.

I know that this might sound stupid, but is it possible that the tire shop put odd sizes on your explorer.

Dont the 98-01 explorers with control track the same system as whats in the 02's???

Ford is pulling your chain, I have a 02 Explorer with 4x4 and I put LT 265 75R 16's on it and they have given me no problem. Just throw my speedo off. It shouldn't matter what size your tires are as long as they are all the same size.

I know that this might sound stupid, but is it possible that the tire shop put odd sizes on your explorer.

Dont the 98-01 explorers with control track the same system as whats in the 02's???
hi,
i want to use the same tire size you have (265/75/16) on my
02/explorer/xlt/4x4/4.0/auto.
you have no rubbing problems with that size at all???
i will use stock wheels, did you?
thanks, bill, billt55@comcast.net

Back