Possible wheel and tire problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible wheel and tire problem

okay, this may be a dumb questions but i searched for an answer and couldn't come up with anything.

On my '97 sport, i have the wheels that most explorers of that year have. I believe the easiest way to describe them withoug a picture is to say that they look like they have 5 deer foot-prints on them. Most of you probably know what I'm talking about. If i'm not mistaken, this wheel is a 15x7" wheel.

I'm looking to get a set of 31x10.5/R15 for my explorer, and the max tire and wheel fitment thread only has listings for explorers with a 15x8" wheel. Since my explorer has the 15x7" wheel, will there be any problem with getting the tire to fit on the wheel? I know there won't be a clearance issue with the wheel well, but I just want to make sure that the tire will fit safely on the wheel without any problems. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can check the manufacturer's specs (often online) for the specific tire you want. Most manufacturers approve 7-9 inch wheels for a 10.5 inch tire. You should be fine.

Back