A4LD rebuild breakdown for the first timer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD rebuild breakdown for the first timer

Josh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4 Door Explorer XLT
A4LD rebuild breakdown for the first timer-You can do it!

Well I thought this might be a good referance for those thinking of taking the big plunge into transmission rebuilding. Below is a breakdown of parts, part numbers, tools, and some links. Anybody finding anything wrong with this or things that should be added, please let me know and I will fix it. I did this in hopes of saving the guy some time and money.

My experience
Just to set the record straight, this is my first transmission rebuild so I am no expert on this subject. I do consider myself a decent mechanic and the transmission is the only thing on my truck I haven't touched. I just wanted to share my experience and lessons learned with anyone who is doing a rebuild for the first time. Below is a list of links, tools, parts, part numbers, prices and where I got them. This list is what I did for my rebuild. I was lucky to find a very good used transmission for cheap that just happened to have been rebuilt in 2003. If you go this route, drop the pan and check it for dirt and metal. The pan on my junkyard trans had hardly anything and the fluid was clean and red. If you plan to get your parts online, order as many parts as possible to save on shipping charges. This is just a basic check off/reference for the guy doing it for the first time. I was quite intimidated by the thought of doing this rebuild, but it wasn’t that hard. Pay attention to the details, make sure everything is clean, take your time and it will all work out.

Links – There are many more, these are the ones I used.
- A4LD parts breakdown and part numbers - A good exploded view of the A4LD and parts list
http://eatmyshift.net/MONSTERFiles/ford/automatic-transmissions/a4ld/index.html
- A4LD Valve body rebuild diary by Glacier991
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=137972
- A4LD rebuild diary by Glacier991 – READ IT! Then read it 10 more times.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146956
- DIY transmission spring compressor by ShadowdogKGB- Post #92
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=197817&page=5
- List of useful threads by BrooklynBay
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1439158&postcount=17
- TranspartsUSA
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/

Special tools
I only used 3 of what I call specialty tools. Some transmission tools are expensive to say the least. One tool costs around 300 dollars.

- Micrometer: I got one for 20 or 30 dollars from harbor freight.
- Lip seal protectors: Used for installing lip seals on the pistons. I could not find them cheaper
than 80 dollars. I used Vaseline to lube everything and put them carefully with no problems.
- Pump alignment tool: I did not take the pump apart so I didn’t use it.
- Snap ring pliers: Not your typical snap ring pliers. They have a flattened tip with a waffled
pattern.
- External snap ring pliers: Needed to remove the snap ring holding the output shaft.
hey are cheap. Do yourself a favor and get the ones that DON’T have the
interchangeable ends. The pair I have are wide and made it difficult to remove and
install the snap ring.
- Governor bore tool: This is the 300 dollar one! It is used to bore out the governor
bore to allow a steel sleeve to be installed. This is an update to the governor bore.
Mine was OK so I didn’t do it.
- Transmission spring compressor: I made my own. Do yourself a favor and buy one.
I only saved about 15 bucks making my own and it was a PITA to use. You can
buy them for 30 dollars and up on e-bay.
- Transmission jack: Not needed, but maybe a nice to have. I used my regular
floor jack, but it would have been nice to have the right tool. Maybe not worth
the one time use though.

Parts used

Part Price Vendor
- Used 92 transmission 79.00 U-Pull-It
- HD Torque converter low stall 170.01 Axiom
- Master rebuild kit (1) Transtec 97.01 Axiom
- Sonnax center support sleeve 6.53 TranspartsUSA
- Transgo A4LD JR shift kit 27.22 Axiom
- Sonnax VB o-ring end plug kit 13.31 TranspartsUSA
p/n:56947-14K
- Sonnax large boost valve kit 24.39 TranspartsUSA
p/n:567741B-1K
- Intermediate Band (2) 7.51 TranspartsUSA
- OD Band single wrap 7.51 TranspartsUSA
- OD apply strut single wrap 7.70 Axiom
p/n: D56915-3
- Low rev band kevlar 9.98 TranspartsUSA
- Thrust washer kit (3) 36.95 TranspartsUSA
- AB servo 6.40 Axiom
- ZC servo 9.53 Axiom
p/n:2273001
- ZC servo cover 5R55 7.99 Axiom
p/n:2276021 or F7TZ-7D0212A-Not sure about this one
- Misc o-ring kit(4) 5.95 Pep Boys
- Sonnax Low sprag endcap kit 18.43 TranspartsUSA
p/n:56250-01k
- Trans fluid 50.00
Total 585.41

Notes
(1)Kit came with all gaskets, seals, lip seals, o-rings, rings, frictions, and steels.
(2)I paid 39.00 for both bands from Axiom!
(3)I paid 70.00 at Axiom!
(4)Got those mainly for the bolts that join the bellhousing to the case.

Miscellaneous parts-Not used

Part Part number
93 Center support F3TZ-7A130-A
#3 Torrington bearing F3TZ-7L326-A
#5 Torrington bearing F3TZ-7D324-A
Sun gear shell-snap type(Pre 93?) F3TZ-7D064-A
Direct clutch drum-snap type(Pre 93?) F0TZ-7D044-A
Manual valve indexer(Update) 56741E-7(Sonnax p/n)

What I did to the valve body
- Transgo A4LD-JR shift kit. Drilled valve body/pucks for firmer shifts
- Sonnax O-ring end plug kit installed
- Sonnax large boost valve installed
- Manual valve indexer was already installed
- Installed 5th check ball per transgo shift kit directions

What I did to the case
- Replaced all thrust washers
- Replaced all frictions and steels
- Replaced all 3 bands
- Installed single wrap OD apply strut-Needed if you replace double wrap band with single wrap
- Installed Sonnax center support sleeve
- Installed ZC servo and cover for overdrive band
- Installed AB servo for intermediate band
- Pressed in sonnax center support sleeve
- No bushings were replaced. They were in good shape
- I did not replace any of the snap rings as suggested by Glacier991. They seemed to be OK

Conclusion
Well I read Glacier991’s rebuild diaries a few times and I still had to go back to them from time to time as well as BrooklynBay’s list of useful threads. I asked a lot of questions then read some more. When I started taking the trans apart, I bagged everything, well almost everything. I also took pictures with the digital camera just in case. While I was waiting for parts, I went out and dry assembled the guts a few times just to get familiar with everything. I also purchased the ATSG A4LD manual and the ATSG A4LD update manual off e-bay for about 13 bucks a piece. I did not follow Glacier991’s directions to the T but rather used it as a guide. If you are looking to rebuild your trans to better than factory specifications and have a long lasting reliable transmission, then follow all of his steps. There were several parts I did not need because they were in my junkyard tranny. My truck will soon retire as a daily driver to become a trail beater so I am not to concerned overall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...nice writeup...:thumbsup:

Most excellent. It is nice to hear you could re-use some of you're old parts. My tranny parts were in excellent shape visually. I haven't put the mic or feeler gauges to it yet but the fluid was as red and clean as could be. Thanks again.

Thanks guys. I thought this might help people that are on the fence about doing a rebuild to do it.

Thanks for the write up! Maybe a moderator could make this a sticky? I've just added this thread to # 15 in my list of useful threads.

Thanks. I hope it makes it to the world of stickies. It would be my first. I have tried in the past but no joy.

Thanks for the list, I agree with Brooklyn, it should be a sticky. It will save others many hours of searching.

I printed a copy and stuck it in my transmission binder/bible.

Regards,
Chris.

Thanks Woody. Go to the link for the A4LD parts breakdown. It has a bunch of part numbers. I believe the reference numbers are the Ford part numbers.

great thread it helped alot.. at least I have a starting point now..

Thanks. Glad it helped. I had a lot of advice from other guys like Brooklyn, Wood1 and Glacier.

Back