• Register Today It's free!

A4LD rebuild or replace?

ShadowdogKGB

Reaction score
City, State
Tioga County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo
I'm ready to plop down 1500-1700 to rebuild or replace my '91 A4LD. Can somebody recommend a company that sells rebuilt A4LD? I know a reputable mechanic who can rebuild mine but was thinking it would be easier and quicker just to buy a rebuilt unit.

PS. I posted this by accident in the modified forums. I'm sorry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Frankentranny is the strongest way you could build an A4LD. It's not an OEM rebuild because it uses 5R55E parts mixed with A4LD parts. Basically it gives you the best of both worlds. You don't have a lot of electronic parts, and you get the best hard parts which could fit.

The transmission of my explorer 1991 loosing all the oil after some miles you do and the car stop, somebody can tell me what is the problem and how can I solve it?

I'm ready to plop down 1500-1700 to rebuild or replace my '91 A4LD. Can somebody recommend a company that sells rebuilt A4LD? I know a reputable mechanic who can rebuild mine but was thinking it would be easier and quicker just to buy a rebuilt unit.

Having something shipped to you would be pretty expensive because of the weight and size. . Is there a local transmission shop that can just rebuild it? Shop around.

The transmission of my explorer 1991 loosing all the oil after some miles you do and the car stop, somebody can tell me what is the problem and how can I solve it?

You need to figure out where the oil is coming from first. The four most likely suspects are the front seal, rear seal, overflow and pan gasket.

Check the modulator too.

Ah I forgot about that one. A bad modulator usually fails by having trans fluid sucked into the vac line though.

Come to think of it, every Ford I've had has had some leaks. Most of the time they're just wet spots on the trans not drips. I think this guy is talking about catastrophic fluid loss though. :D

You need to figure out where the oil is coming from first. The four most likely suspects are the front seal, rear seal, overflow and pan gasket.

Ah I forgot about that one. A bad modulator usually fails by having trans fluid sucked into the vac line though.

it leaks so bad from the front, so do you advise when I have the transmission on the table change converter and all the parts like Project Frankentranny or put the original kit with filter and all the parts is ok?

Come to think of it, every Ford I've had has had some leaks. Most of the time they're just wet spots on the trans not drips. I think this guy is talking about catastrophic fluid loss though. :D

Yes yesterday was the last time after 20 miles the explorer gave problems and you can see the leaking line on the street when you are driving.:mad:

ShadowdogKGB, I don't know if there is anybody near you, but there is a tranny shop up the road from my house that sells rebuilt A4LDs for $850 plus your old one. I would start by calling all the local shops you can find. Good luck.

After rebuild the transmission can you put back and it is ready to go or I need to test with special equipment?
If is only rebuild I can do this in the military post at the auto-skill center and mechanic can help me too.
I am in Italy is difficult to find somebody work in automatic transmissions, an if you find they ask you $3000 to rebuild the trasmission, and it is not sure if working good either, here the majority of people drive standard.

Back