Wanted - A4LD-NEEDED: Quality rebuilt valve body | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted A4LD-NEEDED: Quality rebuilt valve body

Parts or services wanted

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
Scroll down to the bold print if you want to skip the long story. I'm on my 4th cup of coffee.
Mid last year, I was working to get my 1992 Explorer V-6 OHV back on the road. I fixed the engine, new injectors, intake manifold gaskets and replaced the valve cover gaskets too. Some of you may remember that i was having a fuel pressure issue too. Several years back when I was prepping it to sit a while, I removed the fuel pump by way of my access panel that was a clean cut in the floor that an old license plate would cover adequately. I have a bunch of license plates. However, I didn't put the pump back in the tank hole or reinstall the access cover plate. So I ended up having to completely remove the tank, clean out several dead mice and other debris, wash the tank with purple power/water mix, rinse, stand in the summer sun for a few days to drain. Then install a new fuel pump. It would have besen easier to reinstall the fuel pump assembly back when I first open it to drain it. Live and learn. Now every two or 3 weeks, I start up the old truck to keep the fuel system fresh and working.
However, my problem is the A4LD that I took out, took apart, checked everything, bought some measuring tools to make sure everything was in spec, rebuilt torque converter. Bought a pump alignment tool. Even had the rebuilder cut it open and show me that that wasn't the problem that I was chasing down. Of course that cost money to rebuild it, 2, 140 mile round trips, one to drop off, one to go get. The transmission still wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear and generally just didn't feel right. I opened up the pan, removed the valve body, installed new separator plate gaskets and a pair of shift solenoids. I'm at the point now before I remove the transmission is to replace the valve body with a supposedly rebuilt one. I know under normal conditions that it might would b a waste to purchase one, however, I have a '91 4dr 4WD Explorer that needs all of the same things done to it too, engine refresh, clean up fuel system and rebuild its A4LD, So a spare valve body may be a good thing.
Can anyone direct me to a reputable affordable rebuilder to purchase a rebuilt A4LD valve body?

I bought one for my gen 2 from Central valve bodies.

Back