A4LD rpm questions

Slowlyvverot

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 ExElTee
I have two questions.

I have a 94 ex with the original a4ld in it. I've only been driving it for a few months but I'm wondering if there is something that could be done about my shifting. It seems like it shifts at relatively low rpm at WOT. For instance, it shifts into OD at 3000-3100 rpm . And that's at WOT. Where does everyone's transmission shift at? It just seems low to me. Could adjusting the throttle cable help with this? I've also heard some things about transmission bands but I don't quite understand those.

My second question is what rpm should you be cruising on the highway at? In OD at about 70 mph on the speedo (With 31"s, so in reality about 73-74 mph), I'm at 2500 rpm. Does that sound normal?

I did some searching and couldn't find anything. Please direct me to the appropriate thread(s) if I missed something.

...Mine shifts normally into OD at 45 mph...:dunno:

...Click the "How To" in my signature and you will find charts/graphs for rpms and such..;)

You will need to change the speedometer gear on the end of the VSS to correct the speedometer, and the shift points for the overdrive to work correctly. The VSS sends a signal to the PCM to tell it how fast you're going. Swap the 31 inch tires for the stock tires, and you will see that everything works correctly.

I understand i need change my speedo gear for an accurate reading, but the truck was like this with stock tires also.

The more I read about it, the more I think I need to check my throttle cable and see if it's opening the tb plate all the way.

Back